VCR need to be powered on?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by stevela123, Jan 16, 2006.

1. stevela123

stevela123 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    I've been a long time user of the various flavors of the DirecTIVO DVRs and have been very happy. However, this weekend I purchased for my folks a TIVO branded 40 hour DVR.

The set up was as follows:

ProScan TV (2 inputs on the back - RF and the RCA red/white/yellow jacks)
    Toshiba VCR/DVD player
    TIVO 40 hour box

They have local cable TV, but no cable box.

They wanted me to split the incoming cable signal so they could watch a program while recording something on Tivo.

So, I used a splitter on the cable coming in from the wall. One output from the splitter went directly to one of the inputs on the back of the TV.

The other output from the splitter went to the RF in on the back of the Tivo player. I then ran a set of red/white/yellow RCA cables from the output on the Tivo to the input on the VCR. I then ran another set of red/white/yellow cables from the output on the VCR to the input on the back of the TV.

A couple of problems arose. First, I found that I still had to run a cable from the RF out on the back of the Tivo to the RF in on the back of the VCR to get a signal.

Then, I found that to watch TV with the TIVO player, the VCR had to be powered on and set to channel 3.

So, 2 questions. (1) why does the VCR need to be powered on. (2) With the red/white/yellow cables run the way I have, why do I still need the RF cable running from the DVR out to the VCR in?

2. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Two questions, three answers. :)

OK, first,

You don't need to split the cable to watch a program while Tivo records something else. Just select a recording from Now Playing.

(1) Because you've used the RCA inputs on the VCR, which are powered inputs. When the VCR is turned off, the RCAs will also be turned off.

(2) Because only the RF is an unpowered input that will remain active when the electronics are turned off.

The solution to your problem is this: move the tivo's RCA outputs away from the VCR and put them directly to the TV. You'll watch Tivo off these inputs, and will be able to record from tivo to VCR over the RF.

3. stevela123

stevela123 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Thank you for the suggestions. A couple of follow ups.

Your alternative explanation explains how to avoid having to power the VCR on.

However, you say they don't need to split the cable coming in. Just select a recording from now playing while Tivo records something else.

Maybe I'm not understanding something, but my folks are old school. Let's use an example that will happen tonight (monday, Jan. 16). They have set Tivo to record tonight's showing of 24. While it's recording they want to be able to simultaneously watch the Golden Globe awards that are on at the same time tonight. Under your setup, can this be done?

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

He's forgetting that his method of using Tivo won't be the same as someone elses (TiVo, TV your way). Some people still want to be able to watch "live TV" when two shows are on at the same time and only one can be recorded by Tivo.

Here's how I would do the set up

One of the rf plits to rf input on the vcr and then the vcr rf output to the TV.
    Second rf split goes to the Tivo rf in and the Tivo composite (rca) output to the TV composite input.
    If it's necessary to record Tivo programs to the vcr then connect the other Tivo composite output to the vcr composite input.
    The vcr can be used on channel 3/4 the way vcrs have traditionally been used for decades - you can even record something on the vcr and watch something else using the TV's tuner. Tivo can be viewd by changing the TV to video input.

5. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    May I jump in and ask a related question?

1. I connect the coaxial cable from the cable company directly into the Tivo RF Input (no converter is involved).

2. I set the RF-Out on the Tivo to Channel 4.

3. I connect the Tivo's RF-Out to my TV's RF-In. The TV has no other RF source, either cable or antenna.

My question is, can I use the TV tuner to view stations on the cable other than what is coming across from the Tivo on Channel 4? Or is the TV forced to view whatever the Tivo is putting out?

I want to avoid having to split the cable in order for the TV viewer to have the ability to watch whatever cable channel they want, independent of the Tivo.

Thanks in advance,

Rob from AZ

6. ScottUrman

ScottUrman Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    You can do this only when the Tivo is in standby. In that case, it will still record whatever it has been scheduled to, but pass through the unaltered cable signal via the RF cable as well. Standby is an option from Messages and Settings, I believe.

7. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow, I did not know THAT. Is that actually documented anywhere?

8. ScottUrman

ScottUrman Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm sure its in the Tivo manual somewhere (that's where I heard of it). I also found this article on Tivo's site about it.

9. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thank you SO much. That will simplify my life! I hate to split an RF cable.