VCM Update????

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by BTDFXD, Sep 4, 2020.

1. BTDFXD

BTDFXD Member

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

TiVo HD 652.... w/upgraded 1 tb hard drive and relatively new power supply has started freezing/rebooting at random, season pass shows are sometimes only partially recorded. Also getting notice guide data runs out in approx 10 days. Did reboot and forced connection to get new guide data and guide data update took about 3 hours. So far so good but system still crashes. VCM update (whatever that is) is 12/31 and never seems to change. Have run diagnostic (54) on hard drive and appears ok. Any ideas as to what I should look at? Thanks

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You didn't say how old the hard drive is. I'd pull it and run the manufacturer's test on it connected to a computer.

Where did the power supply come from and what do you mean relatively new since there haven't been any new ones available? Was this one that the caps were replaced?

Scott

3. BTDFXD

BTDFXD Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Both HD and power supply were purchased from weakness about 5 years ago. However, unit was only used for about a year before being put in the closet.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The hard drive would have been new but I'd still run the tests just to verify there are no issues. The power supply would have been used from what I recall. I don't know if they were replacing capacitors though. Can you see who the manufacturers are on the caps (not counting the large one) which would tell you if they've been replaced?

Scott

5. BTDFXD

BTDFXD Member

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a different power cord and it now seems stable. I’m guessing vcm update not happening doesn’t affect basic functionality