VCM Connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by UCLABB, Jun 25, 2020.

1. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I was looking at system info and noticed that VCM connections not being successful. Checked again today and it says last successful was 1969. Guide goes out the usual number of days. Todo list goes to the end of the guide data. I presume this is just some headend glitch. Can some others check this out?

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Mine is dated today. Roamio Pro on TE3.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The mystery VCM connection starts with that 1969 date until the first service connection after a power is applied. You might try Network Settings, Troubleshooting, Internet Connection. If that passes, check the VCM date. They are usually made every four hours or so, but a lot depends on your level of activity. I think that's when your TiVo tells TiVo what you have been doing. That's just a guess.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Everything was fine. All data was fine. Service connections were being done. After I tested the internet connection I went back to the vcm page and it showed connected successfully earlier in the day. No idea what the issue was, but now gone.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Cosmic Rays. :)

6. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Time is internally represented on Unix-derived operating systems (TiVo using one of these) as the number of seconds since an "epoch", which is 00:00 Jan 1, 1970 GMT, which is around the time the Unix Operating System was invented at AT&T Bell Labs. The idea is that time is represented internally in a form independent of time zone and weirdness like daylight saving time, and then "pretty printed" in human readable form, taking those other factors into account. Since the US is earlier than GMT (PST is GMT-8), in the US the zero time will display as some late hour on Dec 31, 1969. So what you are seeing is zero time, which as other have pointed out, means it hasn't generated a real time yet.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    UCLABB likes this.