VCM Connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Series 2, Apr 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Series 2

Series 2 New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    what is the VCM connection? My series 2 tivo has always successfully made the vcm connection every day separately from the regular update until I noticed that the last time it successfully made a connection was April 4, 1:37pm. Tivo seems to be working fine however. Just wondering what this connection actually is for and if it will wind up causing problems eventually because it's not connecting successfully anymore. Anyone else with this problem?
    Thanks!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There have been various speculations on its purpose. I miss once in a while, usually due to network issues. One theory is that it's how TiVo gets your viewing and operational statistics. I have one box that gets little use and it may have an interval up to 12 hours. Normally its about every four hours.

3. Charlie_M

Charlie_M New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I found this on page on page 224 of the "TiVo Product Support Handbook for MSOs".

 VCM Connection—Virtual Channel Manager (VCM) shows details about synchronizing
    internal data. TiVo uses this data for the To Do List and OnePass Manager.
     Last Attempt—Date and time
     Last Successful—Date and time
     Next Scheduled—Date and time

I started doing research because my Tivo Bolt was rebooting every time it hit the Next Scheduled—Date and time for the VCM Connection. Finding this helped me solve my reboot problem. I had scheduled a manual recording on a local channel that does not have a published guide schedule for it's programming but I knew the time for something I wanted to record. The Tivo guide lists everything on this as "To be announced" all day everyday. I think the "to do list" was trying to synchronize my recording with a guide entry and rebooted when it couldn't. Once I removed the manual recording it stooped rebooting. I think this is a bug in the latest Tivo experience software. NOTE; I have not reported this to Tivo support since I was able to resolve this on my own.

JoeKustra, rpj22 and ClearToLand like this.