Value of Tivo HD vs Fios HD DVR ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Tivo_60, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

I've got a bit of a dilemma that I could use some advice on.

Fios is just now avaiable to me, but Verizon's Moto HD DVR boxes are on back order for the next few months.

If I buy a Tivo HD ( I like Tivo and currently have D*) I have to pay Tivo's $12.95 /mo subscription charge plus $8.00/mo Vzn 2 cablecards charge.(they don't have M cards)

So the Tivo is going to be $21.00/mo vs Vzn $15.95/mo HD DVD (when it's available again) Somehow this doesn't make economic sense to me because I also have to lay out the ~$280.00 purchase price of the Tivo.

I'm aware of the Tivo benefits, but is it really worth all the extra $$. Thanks guys.

2. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007

That's a question of personal preference only you can answer.

Or am I missing something you're looking for...:confused:

3. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    No, I'm just trying to justify the Tivo's application at the above expense. In other words, why are Tivo HD costs more than a Fios supplied box. I'm looking at that monthly Tivo subscription fee at a perceived value of maybe $5.99 /mo. The other problem with it is that one year commitment. That's a real "fly in the ointment" for me. I mean, I realize that they're retailing the units below cost and need to recoup some of that money, but IMO they'd have a LOT more subscribers from Cable and Fios if they were less money than the lease cost rather than more.

4. stream

stream New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    San...
    The THD can use a single multi stream card, so if you can get one of those that's $3 less per month.

5. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007

Advertisements

Yes, TiVos cost a premium over the generic DVRs from a provider. But TiVos are more reliable overall and offer a much better experience, IMO. But again, only you can decide if the price difference (and commitment) is worth it to you. I can only buy what people offer, not what I 'wished' they'd offer.

6. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    You decide for yourself.
    For me, it was simple. Did I want to sit down to an annoying Verizon supplied DVR, day after day, just to save a few bucks a month? Life's too short. I bought two S3's.

I saved one Verizon DVR for our guest room (sorry, guests) and compare it to my TiVo's once in a while when it gets updated. Even with the latest software from Verizon (which looks pretty), it is absolutely horrible to work with.

7. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Why is your Tivo monthly service $16 ???

I have two tivo's and paying $6.99 on each a month :D

maybe I shouldn't have told anyone :eek:

8. capnkt

capnkt New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Sarasota, FL
    As a long time Direct TV, with 2 HR10 250's, 3 standard def Tivos, and even the new HR20 (Direct TV DVR), we decided to switch to Fios.

It took my wife 3 days of using the "kluge" of a box (slow, very few hours of hard drive space for HD, just plain goofy) they had for her to say "Call Verizon and cancel, I want my Tivo back!!"

I love Verizon's quality of the HD, so it was a perfect opportunity to upgrade to the Tivo HD boxes.

I am not sorry, nor have I looked back once.

Buy the Tivos before you place the order, activate them, allow the updates, and you are good to go!

Good Luck!!!!

9. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It isn't, it's 12.99 /mo .$16.99/mo is for the Fios box.

@stream.
    Unfortunately VZn does not have M cards , only S, so it takes 2

Thanks all, for your responses....I think I'm going the Tivo route (my wife also likes ther interface that she's become accustomed to)

10. lqaddict

lqaddict New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York
    If you look at it from the economic stand point there are a lot of things that you would do to cut cost on - car, house, etc. I.e. I bought a Lexus, but could really get away with a Toyota for a lot less for the same realibility, I got Tivo HD but could've gotten away with a cable company DVR. Now let's look at Lexus vs. Toyota - luxury vs practicality; Tivo vs cable company DVR - features-packed DVR experience vs just a DVR functionality. You choose.

11. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Im sold, I'm sold ! Tivo HD it is.

12. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    One last thing that was missed - the THD can follow you when you move or change providers. You could use the THD with cable or save even more money using it with just an antenna. The Verizon box is on rental to you.

13. kelpster

kelpster New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Los Angeles...
    I've been skimming this board all night and am feeling confused. I'm hoping someone could give me some advice, please.

I have Dish Satellite and a Series 2 Tivo. We love our Tivo. We decided to get FiOS and will have it installed in a couple of weeks--TV, Internet and phone service. The Verizon consultant said their DVR is just like Tivo, but after browsing about, I now seriously doubt that. I think I'll have to call her back and adjust my order. But to clarify....

1) Can they connect my Series 2 to FiOS? Would I need to order a Cable Card in advance for that? I understand I would not be able to record any HD programs and that's okay for now.

2) If I need to get a HD Tivo for me to keep a Tivo with FiOS, should I run out and get one now? I've seen advice that one needs to have it running and updated to minimize the cable card troubles. I could hook it up to my Dish connection and still watch tv until the FiOS installation occurs?

3) If I need a HD Tivo, should I try to find a Series 3 over the HDT?

Any help is sincerely appreciated! You all are a life raft in an ocean of confusing technology. :)

Thank you in advance!

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    With a direct coax connection to the TiVo Series2, you would only get local channels. You need the FiOS STB (or alternatively, a TivoHD with a CableCard) to get the digital cable channels.

You can connect a Verizon FiOS STB to the TiVo Series2, much like you did with the Dish Network STB. The TivoHD would eliminate the need for the Verizon FiOS STB; for the TivoHD, you would get two CableCards from Verizon instead.

The TivoHD only supports cable and over-the-air signals. It does not support satellite.

You will want a TivoHD to take full advantage of the FiOS service. If you have an off-air antenna, you can connect that to the TivoHD to receive the locals in HD while you await your FiOS install.

I have a TivoHD with FiOS and it is excellent. I think you will be very pleased.

The TivoHD will work just as well for your purposes. The primary benefit of the TiVo Series3 is the improved performance with multi-room viewing (transferring recordings between multiple TiVos). If you only expect to have one TiVo, that would be a non-issue.

15. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    FWIW, I have been a TiVo user since 1999 and used multiple D*TiVo's (SD and HD) thru most of my 10 years with D*. Had 3 SDs and one HD operational when I gave up D*.

Recently got FIOS service with their DVR and added an S3. I figured I'd give their DVR a try while waiting for my $200 BB Gift Card reward for FIOS signup.

What a clumsy, slow device! What a non-intuitive, slow-reacting, confusing, poorly-constructed user interface! Functionally, it cannot even do basic tasks like toggling between tuners while retaining buffers, a neat TiVo feature when watching sports.

Got my $200 card, bought a TiVoHD to go with my S3 (and an S2 for SD), and now the FIOS DVR is going back home. Good riddance to a poorly engineered, poorly programmed device.

My value equation includes usability and features that the FIOS DVR is totally incapable of. No contest.

Just my humble opinion.

16. kelpster

kelpster New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Los Angeles...
    Thank you for the frank opinion. I think we'd be VERY unhappy with the Verizon DVR. You're very clear about what you didn't like and I appreciate that.

17. kelpster

kelpster New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Los Angeles...
    Thank you for the very clear explanation; that is so helpful! A STB for the S2 and two CableCards for the S3 that I gotta go buy. Do you think I'll need a wireless network adapter for the S2? Will the FiOS installer need to bring some hardware for it?

Oh, yeah. I totally forgot that little fact--and it's that fact that brought me to consider FiOS in the first place. Jeeze!

So...I guess I should buy the S3 and set it up with a phone line and a tv monitor so I can register it and have it download the newest software. We live in a hilly area and do not get an off-air signal. Does that sound about right?[/QUOTE]

I am very glad to hear you are happy with FiOS. I'm swinging between excitement and cold feet. It sounds great but the "what ifs" can drive a person crazy. It helps seeing all these folks that have been there, done that--and would do it again. :)

The S3 has a bigger hard drive, doesn't it? It's not inconceivable that we might end up replacing the S2. Like so often the case, one thinks one doesn't really need something and then you realize that it might be quite nice afterall. I just can't afford to buy two S3 or THD right now. Getting everything bundled will save us at least $50/month.

Thank you very much for your help. The learning curve can be a little steep sometimes and a helping hand is very appreciated. :)

18. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I have set up my Tivo HD now, including the firmware to 9.2. Fios won't be installed for another week, so I've been uising it on the 7 day trial, w/OTA

Maybe it's my imagination, but it looks like the HD PQ is BETTER than when the ant is hooked up directly to my panel ( Pioneer 50" Elite).

Could it be that the ATSC tuner in the Tivo is better than the ATSC one in the Pio? Or is it just wishful thinking ?
    BTW, pleasant surprise that I can record 2 different shows @ the same time OTA.

19. mzupan

mzupan New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    I am thrilled to hear that FIOS works with the S3. They are laying the FIOS cables in my neighborhood now and I will be getting it once it is available. I was worried that I would not be able to use my S3 and would have to go with the Verizon DVR. Knowing that FIOS works with the S3 just made FIOS a whole lot sexier!

20. jmairs

jmairs New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Hi,

I've had Fios and their DVR for about a month and a half. The Fios tech comes today to install my cable cards and take back their DVR. Here are the things that drove me crazy

1) I'm recording and watching Washington Caps hockey game. I pause the game and go upstairs. Even though I'm recording the game the "pause" buffer can only pause for 30 minutes and then it picks up at current live time. So now when I come back downstairs I see the current score. Tivo will hold the pause indefinitely.

2) After watching a show, Tivo can "sense" that you have finished watching it and will ask you if you want to remove it. With Fios you have to re-navigate a couple of prompts to delete the show. Annoying.

BTW, I was a DirectTV/Tivo user for 7 yrs before the Fios switch.