1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Value of damaged Roamio with lifetime service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by byonik, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Apr 2, 2018 #1 of 22
    byonik

byonik Member

Apr 9, 2014
    I have a Roamio Pro that I suspect was damaged by a voltage surge last year that also took out my wine cooler (or maybe the wine cooler caused the surge when its compressor failed - not sure).

I replaced the hard drive, and later the power supply, but it still rebooted constantly. I finally realized the CPU was running abnormally hot, so I added a cooling fan, and it was again operational for around a month, but eventually it started boot looping again even with the cooling fan.

My suspicion is that the CPU and/or VRM got damaged from the surge. There are no bulging caps, and swapping the power supply with my other Roamio made no difference (and the bad Roamio’s power supply powered my other Roamio just fine).

I’m wondering if my damaged Roamio has any value since it has lifetime service? Any suggestions? Can these system boards be repaired? If so, can it be done without invalidating the lifetime service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Apr 2, 2018 #2 of 22
    gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    I'll buy it for $50 shipped. :)

3. Apr 2, 2018 #3 of 22
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    If you contact TiVo, hey could offer a sale price on a replacement box (and transfer the Lifetime over).

4. Apr 3, 2018 #4 of 22
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Makes me nostalgic for the ReplayTV 5000 series models whose identities were tied to an easily removable socket chip.

CIR-Engineering and Teeps like this.
  5. Apr 3, 2018 #5 of 22
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Surface mount chips are not impossible to swap out. Just takes some skill and patience...

6. Apr 3, 2018 #6 of 22
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    True, but lacking those attributes I'm personally less nostalgic about the socketless models.

And whatever the skill set, is such a chip swap even possible for altering the identity of a modern TiVo box, carrying the service plan along for the ride?

7. Apr 3, 2018 #7 of 22
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    On a Roamio it's not a (relatively) simple SMT chip replacement like on a Series 3. Since then the encryption has been part of the CPU, which uses ball-grid technology.

You can find videos online abut people reseating existing ball-grid chips with everything from a hair dryer to infrared lamps, but it's sketchy at best. Doing it right requires several thousand dollars of professional equipment. Not worth it.

I spent half my life repairing electronics and I wouldn't even attempt to swap a surface mount chip, much less a ball-grid CPU. My eyes and hands are too old for that kind of precision.

Teeps likes this.
  8. Apr 3, 2018 #8 of 22
    byonik

byonik Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Might be worth a try. I don’t really need it anymore, but it’s probably still worth $400 in good working order. I think that’s what I paid for a used Roamio w/ lifetime a few months ago.

9. Apr 3, 2018 #9 of 22
    byonik

byonik Member

Apr 9, 2014
    I’m still game for basic cap swaps, but that’s about the limit of my patience and skills these days. Sucks getting old...

Teeps likes this.
  10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Give 'em a call--a call is cheap (and they cover the cost). ;) If you do call them, let us know the result, if you can.

A comparison data point: a new Roamio OTA (non-cable, although one can mod it and add a cablecard adapter to accept a cablecard) with included Lifetime is going for $400 at Amazon.com at present.

11. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Good question, I was just throwing out the suggestion.
    Copy that!
    Agree.
    I have a surface mount hdmi chip I was going to install in my xl4 tivo; but since the component output still works... the chip sits in the original envelope it came in.

12. jerryez

jerryez Active Member

May 16, 2001
    Pensacola,FL...
  13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  14. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    They do, but if your box takes a lightning hit or other power surge it's generally not going to be a repairable box. My original Roamio Plus was killed by lightning last year, it just bootloops over and over. Not the HD or PS because I swapped both, something on the mobo was fried (with no burn marks etc.).

It sits in the basement, there is no market for it from what I can see even with lifetime.

15. josim

josim New Member

May 21, 2016
    South Carolina
    slowbiscuit, post: 11480125, member: 150299"]My original Roamio Plus was killed by lightning last year, it just bootloops over and over.

Homeowner's insurance may cover this, if you have it.

16. ckelly33

ckelly33 Member

Oct 29, 2004
    1. After the owner's deductible, it may not be worth it

2. If you make 3 claims in 3 (or maybe 5) years, you are apt to be cancelled. Once cancelled, no one will insure you for a reasonable price for years. Better hope you don't have serious issues in the coming years. It's a racket.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Mikeguy likes this.
  17. CIR-Engineering

CIR-Engineering Video Calibration & Electronics Repair Engineer

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    If the Brodcom SoC is bad than there is nothing that can be done as the lifetime ID is on the chip it's self. However, if a SM resistor that controls voltage to the chip was fried it could be running hot because it is getting over voltage. In this case it would be fixable; if not by you than maybe by Weaknees.

craigr

18. jonw747

jonw747 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Using old techniques? Yeah, I stay far away, but there are some youtube videos on SMT re-work using a low melting point solder called QuickChip and a lot of flux that make SMT rework look possible without having to touch every pin precisely.

BGA is another matter, but I wouldn't dismiss the YouTube techniques out of hand either ... at least in a try it or throw it in the trash scenario.

Anyway, it might be instructive to scan the Roamio's PCB with a IR temperature gun and see where the heat seems to be coming from. Quite possibly whatever protection circuitry is on the board (diodes, varistors, gas tubes, etc) died trying to save the product and were damaged and may have been left in a conductive mode. It's also possible that capacitors were damaged, but simply are not bulging.

19. Montgomery Burns

Montgomery Burns New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I recently say a Tivo Roamio Pro on ebay with 3 Tivo minis and lifetime service for $379.99. I had recently picked up a Roamio Pro and a couple minis off ebay already, or I would have jumped on that deal.

20. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Wow, that was a true steal for the person that picked it up.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.