Valid Tuner Release Method

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by missingwings, May 20, 2020.

1. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011

Advertisements

Question: Is there or is there not a definitive method to instantly release a tuner from a client mini?

I’ve tried the two times press of the TiVo button, but have never found it to work. Here’s a recent test of that method:

A. First, I scrolled down through the Diagnostics screen at the Host Roamio (21.9.7.v7.-840-6-840) with the following results (all tuner strengths and SNR’s within good-to-excellent range):

Tuner...Channel..... Frequency

B. Next, I cycled through the available channels using the [LiveTV] button for the Roamio host with these results:
    1:760 / 2:794 / 3:688 / 5:730 (i.e. two “missing” channels).

C. I then checked my two mini’s and, as expected, one was on 0:730 and one was on 4:740 (the two “missing” channels).

D. At the first mini, I pressed the [TiVo] button once and “MY SHOWS” was highlighted. Then, I pressed the [TiVo] button a second time and the list of “MY SHOWS (TIVO ROAMIO PRO)” was displayed. Finally, I pressed the [TVPwr] button to turn off the mini.

E. Next, I repeated the ‘D’ steps at the second mini.

F. I returned to the Roamio and repeated the ‘B’ steps, with the same results (i.e. still only four available channels).

I would like to label each of my mini’s with a workable method, even if it takes several key presses on the remote.

Does anyone have a solution?

2. CinciDVR

CinciDVR Contentious Member

May 24, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Putting my minis into "sleep" mode has always worked to release their tuner. It also has the added benefit of preventing the mini from claiming a tuner whenever an Emergency Alert System message is sent out weekly.

3. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Try TiVo Home and then pressing "Slow." (Slow is under the Pause button.)

When I press TiVo Home I see the "Live" window in the upper right corner of the screen. Pressing Slow makes that window disappear, indicating the Mini has released the tuner it was using.

missingwings likes this.
  4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yep, hitting the Tivo button is the easiest way assuming you don't have video preview enabled.

5. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011

Advertisements

Thank you! It worked! I can now access all six tuners at the Host Roamio. Thank you.