Vacationing with TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Tymb, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 #1 of 16
    Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005

Advertisements

Searched here for answers, but still not sure I understand how/if this can be done...

We'll be away from home for several weeks and would like very much to be able to use our TiVo. We'll be in one location for the whole time. We have two "retired" Series II TiVos which are not active, and two active HD units.

Given the HD requires a card from our cable provider, I assume I can't just pack it up and move it elsewhere? Another time I did take one of the older Series II and went through the activation thing where the TiVo sales guy said we had up to 30 days to cancel without being charged. That's what we did then, but not sure if that's still a viable option (if only for 30 days).

2. Jan 4, 2011 #2 of 16
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    The CableCard issue is one between you and the CATV system where you go temporarily. YOu will almost surely need to get one from them. If you shut off your home service for the interim, your current CATV provider will no doubt want theirs back. If you are not dropping your home service, then there shouldn't be any issue with removing the CableCard. It will have to be re-paired when you return. You might aslso need a Tunig Adapter in the new site. Other than that, all that is required is re-running the guided setup at the temporary site and then again at home when you return.

3. Jan 4, 2011 #3 of 16
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Back when I used to spend summers at a summer home, I used to be able to temporarily deactivate most of the services (Comcast included, IIRC). It's worth looking into, some utilities/services would suspend charges completely during the vacation period whereas others offered a reduced rate.

@OP: If you can be content to use only standard-definition analog service then it's probably easiest to do that and not worry about the whole Cablecard issue if the time period is but a few weeks. Use something like Netflix to supplement the programs that you can't get everything you want on analog.

4. Jan 4, 2011 #4 of 16
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I don't think you're going to be able to use the retired s2s until you pay for service. You'll have to commit for a year. For what you would pay for a year of service on the retired S2, you could probably find a used S2 with lifetime service on line. Then you would have a Tivo every time you go on vacation and your retired S2s could be used as spare parts for the lifetime S2

5. Jan 4, 2011 #5 of 16
    ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI

Advertisements

Slingbox? You can sling in HD, bring a laptop and connect to tv.

6. Jan 4, 2011 #6 of 16
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are thinking of transfer/downloads from your tivos in your home to another Tivo in another place. You cannot transfer anyways because transfers are only limited to within your own home network, and not outside.

Slingbox may be your alternative.

7. Jan 4, 2011 #7 of 16
    Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    I'll have to see if I can contact the cable provider there to find out if they're at all cooperative. No issues at the home end as our local provider is quite flexible.

Thanks!

8. Jan 4, 2011 #8 of 16
    Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Ah, now I remember that's exactly what I did last year. Didn't realize the how the annual commitment worked but the sales guy at TiVo was very helpful and actually suggested that I could activate, then take advantage of the 30 day period to opt out. That's what I did.

9. Jan 4, 2011 #9 of 16
    Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Right-- I realize the transfer issues involved with a home network. I said we had 2 HD TiVos but we actually have 3 and we use transfer frequently. But of course that's not an issue while away.

Just starting to look at this Slingbox device. If I understand correctly, the video is streamed? That is, not stored where you can play back later as desired?

Also just starting to look at various TV tuner options for my notebook. Had not even thought of that as an option but could be a viable way to go as well? The ability to time-shift is essential.

Thanks for the input.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It *could* be an issue. Presumably you could VPN into your local network and then use TivoToGo from your actual Tivos while away..

but yeah, sling box streams.. but I don't see why you see that as necessarily bad, unless you won't have a reliable net connectionÂ… You'll be able to stream from your existing Tivos or other devices -- e.g. watch your recordings or live TV from across the world.

(I don't have a sling box btw.)

11. ljcaswell

ljcaswell New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I'll chime in, because I DO have a Slingbox, and it works fantastically for just this situation, assuming you have a barely decent at least internet connection where you are going to vacation.

I even watched shows from my Tivo over Delta's free and highly congested WIFI service on their planes, and it worked very well (the WIFI was free over Thanksgiving)

12. Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    But as I understand this device, you can view but not store the video to a HD to play back later? That's the main thing we'd want to do.

13. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think that the slingbox lets you watch your Tivo and control it to do the trickplay just as if you were sitting in front of your TV.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Why do you want to store it since you can just stream it again?!?!?

15. Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005

I think the answer is obvious: because I don't know what I'm doing! :)

But, thanks to the help I've received here I now (finally) understand how Slingbox works. At least I know enough to help make a decision as to the best strategy to use.

Thanks much to everyone who replied.

16. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the slingbox sits on your TiVo at home, the files are stored there as always. You fire up the slingbox app on your PC and watch those shows when you wnat to. It also lets you control the TiVo to delete what you watch or setup new recordings.

in effect you have timeshift from the TiVo at home and place shift with the slingbox