vacation Tivo use

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by brick33308, Sep 29, 2011.

1. brick33308

brick33308 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    I'm getting a couple of Tivo2's for a vacation home where I spend months of May and October only. Questions:

1. does Tivo let you stop and start service so that I only have to pay for the 2 months I use them?

2. is it better to keep the Tivo unplugged all the months we're gone, or is it better to keep them plugged in?

2. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I think the answer to #1 is "No"
    As for #2 I would say leave them unplugged, while hard drives don't like being started and stopped it seems to me that not running for 5 months at a time is probably not a bad thing for the life expectancy of the drive. The catches would be a) you are going to need to get new guide data and that will take a long time to download/index when you arrive, and b) keeping the tivo subscription "Valid" , (which kind of relates to point #1)

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you can afford a vacation home then you can probably afford to get a couple of Series 2 Tivos with lifetime service off of eBay. As for plugging/unplugging I agree with the previous responder.

4. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    So how about just deactivating them and re-activating when needed? Is there a downside to that?

If the home is being rented then it might be considered a nice extra for tenants. But beware of theft or damage risks.

And while someone might be able afford lots of things that doesn't mean they should have to throw money away. You don't get or stay rich pissing money away.

5. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    That's true, and something I personally live by but if they have to pay the going rate of $19.95 a month for two Tivo subscriptions that's almost enough to pay for an old S2 lifetime unit. A couple of years and they have fully amortized the cost.

How about just hauling along (or shipping) Tivos from home?

6. telcoman

telcoman Telcoman

Dec 27, 2007
    Central NJ
    We have our old S2 Tivo's with lifetime subs in our vacation home and advertise the Tivo use is included in the rental. We unplug them when not in use for long periods.

7. brick33308

brick33308 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    thanks everyone. based on all of the responses here's what we're doing:

First, kicking myself because I didn't think to get a used Tivo with lifetime service from eBay.

Next, spoke to Tivo. It's not an option to start and stop service since they require an annual contract. However, I was offered a "deal" which seems good so I'm going to go for it unless someone tells me I can do better - $400 will pay for lifetime service for both of the new boxes ($199 each), and then I'm done with service fees.

Next, people I spoke to at Tivo feel that it's better to unplug the Tivo when it's going to not be used for months at time, so that's what I'll do. I was also informed that the time it takes to fully populate all of the program data from scratch is about 15 minutes. Years ago when I had stand alone Tivo's (before I replaced them with direcTV Tivos) the time to fully load program data took several days, and the Tivo person said they've drastically improved since that time.

8. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Sounds good. Enjoy.

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Something to consider if you plan to use the phone line for daily connections...
    Make sure there is a call in number for your area.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you sure they didn't say $400 apiece for lifetime, i.e., $800 total for 2 units?

You should consider skipping the now ancient with power supplies just waiting to fail S2s and picking up a couple of S3 HDs from Craigslist for about $50 each, that way you've got something that can tune over the air stations, and if you catch the right customer service rep you can get lifetime on each for $99. (There's a separate thread about that offer, and it may or may not involve having to own a TiVo Premiere, different people are getting different deals and different answers)

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    S1, S2, & S3 Tivos are still only $12.95/mo.