V58 channel not authorized and Cablevision/Optimum

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mr_pink, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1 of 136
    mr_pink

mr_pink New Member

Dec 15, 2006

Advertisements

I am a few weeks in to Roamio ownership and about at the end of my rope.

Roamio Plus, Cablevision, NDS cablecard.

I can only go about 24 hours (sometimes 48) before I start getting V58 channel not authorized errors on different stations.

I have replaced the cable card, had the cards repeatedly rehit, unbound and rebound, etc etc.. nothing lasts.

Recently I have found that I don't really even need to mess with the cablecard, if I reboot the device the channels usually come back.

When it happens, I can actually have the same channel on two different tuners and one tuner will have the program displayed and the other tuner will say channel not authorized.

Cablecard is running the firmware version Tivo said should be the right one.

Anyone else fighting this battle? Solutions???

TIA

2. Oct 24, 2014 #2 of 136
    Pablo422NY

Pablo422NY New Member

Oct 24, 2014
    I am. Had Tivo for about 3 months now. I was getting it very often. Tried a new cable card, that didn't work. I added a tuning adapter to the system, that seemed to work for about a month. As of right now I'm getting it back again over the past two days.

I have a ROAMIO PRO and a Mini.

Calls to cablevision haven't helped.

3. Oct 25, 2014 #3 of 136
    fastermac

fastermac New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Same here. It has been an ongoing problem. Frustrating since it will appear at random times and often after days of no errors.

It really distracts from an otherwise very positive Tivo experience and is the reason I would not recommend Tivo to anyone I know on Cablevision.

4. Oct 25, 2014 #4 of 136
    DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    What firmware is your cable card running?

5. Oct 25, 2014 #5 of 136
    mr_pink

mr_pink New Member

Dec 15, 2006

Advertisements

Firmware ver: vguard3.0.7_f.p.0601 Oct 2013 build date - which is the version I have read here is supposed to have no issues - tivo told me this is the version I should be running as well.

Dropping the tivo down to just use 4 tuners doesn't fix it either - there is something else besides tuner 5/6 in play I believe.

Btw this is my second roamio unit (first one failed almost immediately with a bad hard drive) and the issue was the same on both.

Seems from the comments above this is still an ongoing issue and one I wish I had known about before going down this road .. I could always switch to fios but my kids make heavy use of optimumwifi on their wifionly idevices. :(

6. Oct 25, 2014 #6 of 136
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    A vote for switching to FiOS here. I don't know what optimumwifi is or why it's good.

7. Oct 25, 2014 #7 of 136
    mr_pink

mr_pink New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    out of the home wifi basically .. on long island where I am there are very few spots where you cant pick up a working signal.

https://www.optimum.net/internet/hotspots/

allows my kids to imessage/facetime/etc. without having a cellular plan.

8. Oct 25, 2014 #8 of 136
    doubler11563

doubler11563 Member

May 13, 2013
    Same here... Roamio Plus with a Cablevision NDS card. Have been through many CC's without success. All latest firmware and updates - still having v58 errors and shows randomly not recording.

I've had this issue since Dec'13 and have been working with TiVo (Margret) and Ed (Cablevision). Although both have been very helpful, it's still frustrating that so long after the Roamio launch and they have yet to resolve this issue.

Had to step down to 4 tuners and the issue has not recurred, but that's not an ideal solution... After all - I paid for a working 6-tuner unit and I'm expecting all 6-tuners to work. Very disappointing that both TiVo and Cablevision have been slow to fix.

For what it's worth - the last update I received from Margret on 10/11 was that it's an issue with the NDS firmware. Cablevision is in the process of testing a new firmware version that should resolve our issues. No timing provided.

9. Oct 26, 2014 #9 of 136
    washerebefore

washerebefore washerebefore

Jul 28, 2014
    USA
    No issue @ all - we do have the Gold package - and we hear you - Verizon/PagePlus Pre-paid for our phones but old smart phones can use the optimum wifi and it's free - and almost everywhere - they even have it in customers homes now, when the kids are @ there friends house they connect and have great web access- Would never get Verizon way too many over charges and billing issue's - we do have only one cable box in the home, we use the Live TV app on our laptop for other rooms - good luck -

10. Oct 27, 2014 #10 of 136
    pchound

pchound New Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I am also having issues with losing channels. I have gone down to 5 tuners and it still loses channels. I used to reboot the Roamio plus and then I would "reseat" the cable card. Now I find that if I go up or down one channel it will re see the channel and no v58 error any more. lasts about a week. My cable card is "new" with the latest version also. So far I have had 2 Roamios, and 5 cable cards. no improvement. Now I'll try 4 tuners. and use my old series 3 as backup.
    Good luck!
    I know the frustration.

11. Oct 27, 2014 #11 of 136
    mr_pink

mr_pink New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Perhaps Margeret or Ed from cablevision who apparently have helped in the past on this could give a current status as it appears from the replies here that there are still plenty of cablevision/optimum customers who can't use their Roamio's as intended. :(:(

12. Oct 27, 2014 #12 of 136
    fastermac

fastermac New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    I agree. After investing as much money as I have in the Roamio Pro and 3 Minis (and paying my monthly bill to Cablevision) I have the reasonable expectation of error free TV viewing.

13. Oct 29, 2014 #13 of 136
    Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Same here.. I'm glad I just saw this thread.. I've had 4 repair visits, swapped cards, unbound/rebound, etc... this is painful and annoying that I can't expect my Tivo's to record season passes because out of nowhere I'll get the V58 Channel Not Authorized message.. How do you get a hold of Margaret and Ed? My last repair visit on 10/25 the tech said "there's nothing we can do" which really ticked me off..

14. Nov 2, 2014 #14 of 136
    JThiessen

JThiessen New Member

Nov 2, 2014
    WA
    I've had complete loss of my cable card twice in the last two weeks. Quite frustrating - so far spent well over 3 hours of phone time trying to get a fix from Frontier. First time, tech came out and without coming into the house, did something that fixed it. Happened again Friday night, and after going through the whole reset your box routine again, they are sending out a new card. I dont have my hopes up - but now am sittting without being able to watch the shows we want (without paying 3 bucks each at Amazon or like sources).
    Really, cable cards have been an issue for the last ten years with TIVO. THey need to realize that they need to pay the money to Motorola or whomever, and get their hardware/software fixed correctly.

15. Nov 3, 2014 #15 of 136
    Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    I've had TiVo's with cablecards (Cisco) from Cablevision/Optimum for 5+ years.

I will take a wild guess that your signal level may be low, or issues specific to the NDS cablecards.

Back in the day when CV required Tuning Adapters for many scrambled channels, my signal level wasn't sufficient enough to keep the TA's connected. They would reboot often during recording, thereby breaking the recording into multiple parts/missing minutes.

A CV supplied video amp has corrected my problem for years now. My MoCA setup works flawlessly with it. And I never 'lose' channels.

16. Nov 3, 2014 #16 of 136
    fastermac

fastermac New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    I doubt this particular problem has anything to do with signal levels. I had no problems with my internet, phone or the old Cablevision set top box before TiVo.There seems to be a bug in the Cablecard firmware causing it to unauthorize select channels at random for a short period time. Eventually the channels become available again.

17. Nov 4, 2014 #17 of 136
    mr_pink

mr_pink New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Not a signal strength issue - I was 100% and actually even took steps to lower my signal strength at the suggestion of tivo to in the 90s, made no difference. Clearly an issue with NDS firmware and how it handles the 6 tuners in the Roamio.

I am pretty stable right now forcing the Pro to use 4 tuners only but that is a pretty half assed solution.

18. Nov 4, 2014 #18 of 136
    fastermac

fastermac New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    My daughter was trying to watch 733 Nickelodeon about an hour ago on a Mini when it happened. Many channels were displaying the error. I flipped to 702 CBS which was fine (broadcast channels are never a problem) then to 715 Yes which worked and finally back to 733 and it was working again. I sure hope this gets fixed soon!

19. Nov 5, 2014 #19 of 136
    Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    It's not signal, my signal is 100% and tested 3 times on 3 separate service calls.. Margret confirmed this is a firmware issue in the cable cards last week to me via Twitter but blew me off regarding my inquiring about the beta people referenced in here for working firmware. I'm not sure who "Ed from Cablevison" is but I'd sure appreciate it if someone could point us in the right direction...

20. Nov 7, 2014 #20 of 136
    wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    Just had this same V58 problem with random channels on one tivo roamio that is only about a month old. Went into our bedroom where we have a week old tivo roamion and those same channels are all there. So I re-booted Power rebooted and they all came back on. We have Comcast and the Roamio is the basic with 4 tuners. This cable card is one we had in our old series 3 machine and has always worked just fine after pairing. Is the Tivo unit on the way out? Should I get a new Cablecard? It kills the TV when this happens. Any ideas on how to prevent?