V53 errors on Roamio Plus (Fios cable card)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jjg247, Dec 7, 2020.

1. jjg247

jjg247 Member

Oct 1, 2002

Advertisements

I’ve had a Roamio Plus that has been near bullet proof for 6 years. I’ve been with Comcast and Verizon (2X) in that time period and never had any issues. The tivo has always been hooked up to the same tv, via the same coaxial cable.

In the last few months I’ve noticed some recordings are pixelated/choppy. In the last few days I also lost the ability to tune to some channels, including BTN, Showtime, and now ESPN. Tivo says it is a signal issue and gives me a v53 error.

unfortunately I don’t have another Tivo or cablebox to help troubleshoot. I followed the steps on Tivo.com and saw the signal strength for ESPN HD is 66% and SNR is 24. Both are outside the recommended ranges. What confuses me is what changed? I can’t pinpoint anything that would be the culprit. A couple of anecdotes that may or may not be meaningful:

- moved to a FIOS gigabit connection over a year ago and they had to replace the ONT. no issues whatsoever after the install.

- When trying to watch MNF tonight, neither the SD or HD channel of ESPN would work. I found automated support within the FIOS app and it sent some kind of signal to my house and the SD channel started working. No change on the HD channel. Coincidence?

- I’m currently having issues streaming recordings from the Roamio to my minis, but the connection is good and I can see the list of recordings on the minis, it playback results in a black screen. After posting in the mini forum, I think this may be a software issue but wanted to include this info just in case.

I’m thinking my next step is to move the Roamio to another coax cable and see if that helps the issue. Anyone have any suggestions before I do that?

2. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    The quickest and easiest thing you can do is check each and every coax connection from the entry point all the way to the rear connector on the TiVo. Disconnect each one, push the bare copper in and out a few times. Maybe even "rake" it with the teeth of pliers. The goal is to remove oxidation (rust) from the bare copper wire. While you're at it visually inspect each connector for any issues. This sounds weird, but I've seen it fix minor problems with signal strength.

After that, if problems persist, you need a technician to come out and check/measure the signal strength as it enters your home. If the signal strength at entry is good maybe you can talk the tech in to following the cable along and check the signal strength at each connector.

Good luck. Signal strength issues can be tricky to diagnose.

3. jjg247

jjg247 Member

Oct 1, 2002
    I’ll definitely start here, but it confuses me how a seemingly perfect signal could deteriorate like this with no known changes. Really appreciate you taking the time to help troubleshoot this.

4. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Oxidation. One of the first things cable techs often do is replace old connectors and splitters to improve signal strength. The copper center conductor of the cable is stuck into a splitter or the connector on the back of the TiVo which is typically a nickel plated conductor and dissimilar metals can corrode over time.

5. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013

Advertisements

I remember long ago having pixelation problems and calling in to Comcast. The rep wanted me to go around and disconnect and reconnect each and every coax connection.

My first reaction was to humor him. Put the phone down for a few minutes, come back and say I'd done it...then get to the "real" problem. Instead, I went ahead and disconnected and reconnected each and every connection. Went back to my TV and found the picture was fine, problem solved. Made a believer of me.

Now this procedure may not fix your problem. But it is quick and easy. And free. And it may fix the problem.

As for no known changes, the oxidation is always happening. Do your wires run anywhere where a rodent could chew on them? I've seen that happen to me...to an ethernet cable.