V53 and signal strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by abqdan, Sep 17, 2016.

1. abqdan

abqdan New Member

Aug 29, 2012

Advertisements

I have a number of OTA channels that report an error accessing a signal - V53. Does anyone know what that error really means?

The channel was found when the Tivo scanned for channels. And if I put the antenna signal strength meter on, the channel connects to digital content, and has a signal strength of 65 - higher than some of the channels I receive successfully.

So - if the channel is there, it has good signal strength, and according to the meter can acquire a signal - why do I get error V53?

(I should add that this channel was working just fine before the last software update a few weeks ago...)

2. TiVoSupport_Sarah

TiVoSupport_Sarah TiVo Representative

Mar 30, 2015
    abqdan,

This is an issue that we are investigating.
    I would ask that you call in to add you TiVo Service Number(s) to this investigation.

You can call our TiVo Technical Support at 877-367-8486
    The hours of operation are:
    Monday - Friday, 7am-6pm PT
    Saturday & Sunday, 8am-5pm PT

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Could be duplicate channels in your lineup - make sure ONLY the correct channel has a check mark by it. If you find that two channels with the same name are checked, then my experience with this problem says that the "correct" one for you will be the second one (where you find the actual signal), but the TiVo will only tune to the first one. (The fact that the problem channels came from scanned channels is indicative of the exact problem I had with some of the duplicates that caused this problem for me - the fix is for the lineup team to actually add the correct channels with their proper call letters to the channel lineup for your zip code.) It seems to me that there is a bug in TiVo code that prevents the box from actually looking at BOTH the channel name and the broadcast frequency when deciding what channels to tune in or list in the Guide.

This problem appears to be very common with OTA reception in rural areas served by translators that re-broadcast the signals from the primary affiliates. The new Rovi lineups are a complete mess, and while they usually have dozens or even hundreds of bogus channels in them, they tend to miss including the local translators. When the channel scan finds the local signal, it is added to the lineup, but those translators carry the call sign of the MAIN AFFILIATE, such as KENW for PBS out of Portales, New Mexico, instead of the call letters of the local translator (K35GU in Ruidoso, New Mexico). This problem is especially bad for independent sub-channels with names such as Comet, COZI or GetTV.

So in my case, KENW was already in the Rovi lineup, but K35GU was not - and when the channel scan found the K35GU signal, it saw that is was broadcasting the name of KENW and just added it as a second KENW channel. after that, my TiVo could ONLY tune to the frequency for KENW in Portales, and I was totally blocked from receiving the local signal until the correct translator was added to the lineup.

It took me WEEKS to convince them that they HAD to add the local translators to solve the problem, and even though they eventually did that, I am pretty sure they still do not actually UNDERSTAND what is going on. I say that because although I can now tune in the correct channels, the GUIDE data has neither the correct channel NAME nor LOGO for these translators I insisted they add, despite the fact that other translators for areas hundreds of miles away that were already in the lineup (and should NOT be) DO show the correct channel names and logos. That proves that the information CAN be entered correctly, but they simply do not care to learn how to do it yet.

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  4. abqdan

abqdan New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I'll open a ticket, though I'm sure the support robots will go through their mindless script as usual. "Force two network connects, do a hard power off and restart, then see if you still have the problem". Honestly, I feel sorry for them, because their managers are NOT preparing them to deal with the issues that came out of the upgrade.

I'm sure it was to do with the upgrade - though in the case of my CW reception, this was only ever on one channel - 2-2 in my area - and it still only detects one 2-2. Before the upgrade it was receiving the broadcasts and had the lineup. Now, it detects the channel, but maybe it is associating the wrong call sign - I really have no clue about exactly which transmitters etc we should be receiving. Tivo was always a simple 'point and shoot' solution for me, but it seems I now have to understand everything about transmitters, repeaters, channel call signs... just crazy.

5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

I had to do my own research on the FCC database to identify the EXACT five translators that were licensed to cover my area and provide those exact call letters to the lineup team before they could fix it. Before I did that, the several attempts they made in response to my problem reports actually made many problems WORSE.