v52 on all channels on my Series4. Same on replacement unit...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BakCompat, Oct 2, 2017.

1. BakCompat

BakCompat New Member

Jan 12, 2007

Advertisements

Ok, had tivo service since the original Phillips model running 1.4 and I even installed the old network card way back when tivos didn't have ethernet (using the original linux apps of the era), so I'm no stranger...

2 weeks ago, my series 4 unit went v52 on all channels. We are directly on RG6 cable and do not use cable cards. Much diagnosis later, I figured the tuners died, as neither had signal lock. Meanwhile, plugged the rg6 cable directly into tv and voila... it works! So.. dead tuner right?

Ok, order a replacement series 4 unit from fleabay and same thing. v52 across the board. Multiple clear & deletes and guided setups later.. Hmm, something wrong with tivo here, as tv is coming into the tv directly no problem. Take the unit to my brother's place, hoping it will work and I'll just give it to him. Same thing. v52 across the board, but works fine when plugged directly into tv.

I even tried an active power booster I had from a prior project to boost the signal on the rg6 line coming in and no such luck.

So... Tivo tech support says the incoming signal strength is too weak. 2 boxes at different locations don't pull signal. Near as I can figure, Time Warner has "upgraded" the local infrastructure.

Is it a dead duck, or what? I'm not interested in buying a cable card and messing with that headache. I still have the fleabay box and if I can't get it working, need to ship it back to seller.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Sounds like you would need to get a cable card and no, you cannot buy a cable card, it needs to be obtained through the CableCO. You may be able to get the 1st card free.

The CableCO may have moved to digital and without a cable card, Tivo cannot map the channels.

3. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I've played the V52 roulette with my cable provider before. Signal strength too weak or too strong. Just adding your neighbor to line upstream or downstream can affect you. You can't boost a really bad signal above line noise. What does your cable company say? Have them come out and test/fix.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I don’t see anywhere that you called your cable company. It sounds like they went digital and you need to rent a cable card from them. In any event, talk to them.

5. BakCompat

BakCompat New Member

Jan 12, 2007

Advertisements

Yep, something like that. Saw a Spectrum truck the week before 2 doors down and then later that week at the end of the block. Disappointed cuz the replacement unit was a lifetime sub.

Well, I had been hanging on to the series 4 unit because it was the last one that would do analog cable. If I'm digital only now, no point in sticking with series 4. Will need to upgrade to current gen hardware.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Premiere can receive both analog and digital, even the Series 3.
    Beginning with Roamio (Series 5), it can only receive digital broadcasts.

You just need a cable card properly paired. A tuning adapter is also needed if there's SDV (Switched digital video).

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I hope the OP comes back before he throws away a perfectly good Premiere that simply needs a cable card.