Using Vox remote to change video input on Bolt - possible?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mdscott, Jun 3, 2019.

1. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    My goal is to use Vox remote function to change the video input on our Bolt. Can this be done either directly or via IFTTT applet?

mds

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Isn't that special. I could use the voice command to change to Hulu or Amazon, but then the voice button is dead.

3. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    The "Input" button on the remote has a consistent action whatever the state of the bolt - it advances the TV's input and it does this whatever the Bolt is otherwise doing. An IFTTT action triggered either by Voice button (or maybe Siri?) could merit investigation. But I have found no indication that IFTTT can trigger the "Input" button as opposed to many of the others.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You want to change the Input of the TV, not the Bolt. Works on my Sony when I hit the input button.

5. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Correct. And it works perfectly when I manually press the "Input" button on the remote. I would like to trigger that action via TiVo Voice Control, IFTTT, Siri. Would prefer not to use the TV remote as it is is rarely used otherwise.

6. nyjklein

nyjklein J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets TCF Club

Aug 8, 2002
    North...
    So you understand that the TiVo remote is just sending an IR code directly to the TV to change inputs when you hit the input button? The TiVo itself is not involved at all. So unless your TV has Alexa or IFTTT integration itself, you can't do what you're trying to do.

Jeff

P.S. Just to be clear, Alexa and IFTTT can send other "remote" commands to the TiVo because they're sending those commands over the network. The actual TiVo remote is not involved.

jrtroo likes this.
  7. Bmaur34

Bmaur34 New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Phoenix
    I have a harmony hub remote and it works with Amazon Echo. Setup activities and tell Alexa to watch Apple TV watch TiVo or watch dvd...changes I put. But correct TiVo is not involved