Using TiVo With Comcast?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by soloredd, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1 of 18
    soloredd

soloredd New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    California

Advertisements

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a TiVo to use with Comcast digital cable (+HD) instead of using the Comcast DVR. A few questions I have, though:

1) Can I use TiVo for HD programs and then send those to my Pioneer 220-S DVD recorder?

2) Are all TiVo machines 2-tuner capable or should I shop for a particular model?

3) If anyone has had experience with the Comcast DVR, which would you suggest to be better...TiVo or Comcast?

4) I've done some reading on initial set-up and I understand I have to use a landline to do the initial set up. But, after that, can I then use my wireless network (or ethernet) to do the connecting?

Thanks alot for any answers/additional information. I appreciate it! :)

2. Mar 8, 2005 #2 of 18
    smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    1. No

2. Only DirecTV models

3. Depends on what version of the dual tuner Comcast DVR you have. The Motorola's with MSIPG and iGuide versions are good but the SA ones aren't so hot from what I understand and I find it similar but missing the Suggestions and Wishlists which sorta suck.
    4. Yes via either a wireless USB adapter or wired.

3. Mar 8, 2005 #3 of 18
    Georgia Guy

Georgia Guy Early Adapter

Feb 21, 2003
    Atlanta
    Why not use 'em both? Especially if your cable co. uses the Moto.6412.
    That way you can use the HD cable box for HD recording, and the Tivo for everything else. The hd cable boxes are typically only $5-10 a month more than the digital cable costs.

I've been very happy using both for quite a while.

4. Mar 8, 2005 #4 of 18
    soloredd

soloredd New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    California
    Well, the reason I don't want to use both is cost. For HD through Comcast it is $5, add on the DVR it's another $10. That's $15/mo. on top of what I already pay for digital cable. TiVo would be another $200 + $13/mo. (I don't have a TiVo yet). I am happy using my DVD recorder for the majority of occasions, however, the 2-tuner DVR would add a bunch of possibilties, whereas the TiVo is only 1-tuner.

Thanks for the suggestion, though :)

5. Mar 8, 2005 #5 of 18
    dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA

Advertisements

1) technically you can record HD channels but they are down-converted to a superior SD type picture--- better than standard picture though. And yes you can them to an external burner.

2) No Stand Alone tivo at this point has the dual tuner equipped. Only DirecTV tivo's have the dual tuner in them

3) Tivo has the upper hand with me due to all the options I have-- TTG, MRV, and ease of use. Comcast has the better two tuner feature and ability to record true HD.

4) Yes once you complete initial guided setup through the phone line you can put your tivo on your home network for updates/guide data/ remote scheduling etc.

I have seen and used the comcast DVR--- picture quality is very good--- the interface IMHO has alot to be desired. Its very flakey and can be hard to program... this is also due to being so used to Tivo im sure.

6. Mar 8, 2005 #6 of 18
    dmlove51

dmlove51 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Are you certain this is the case? I already had Comcast HD for $5.00, and when I switched out the 5100 for the 6412, the added cost was only $4.95 (total of $9.95). So I have both.

The interface on the 6412 is not perfect, but it's not bad and it is very fast. It was flakey in the beginning (a lot of freezing), but since a firmware update a couple of weeks ago, that doesn't happen anymore. That said, it is missing some TiVo features that many feel are very desirable, such as wishlists and suggestions, skip-to-tick . In exchange, it is dual tuner and it records true HD. I use the Comcast box to record anything I want in HD, and use the TiVo for everything else (because I love MRV, I record some things on both - if I want to watch it on my one HDTV, I use the Comcast, but if I want to watch it upstairs, or if I record something upstairs, I can transfer it downstairs and watch it there).

7. Mar 8, 2005 #7 of 18
    dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA

Yes I forget that they had released an update and got the system a little more stable..... my experience goes back about 2 months or so.

I remember the other thing I could not get past aggrivating the hell out of me.. THE FAST FORWARD is the slowest dam thing around... it would take me 15 minutes to get to see the last 10 minutes of a 60 minute show. Maybe they have fixed this issue with an update but It was TERRIBLE!!!

8. Mar 8, 2005 #8 of 18
    dmlove51

dmlove51 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Agreed. The lack of a "skip-to-tick" feature is a big negative :thumbsdown:

9. Alan Gross

Alan Gross New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    I have had TIVO for 3 years and love it. Last week we got a digital box since Comcast now requires you to have a box to receive HBO. The TIVO will no long function properly. I reset it to work with a cable box. If you hit the record button it will record; it will pause and play the current TV show. However if it is programed to tape something, it cannot change the channel, it will record whatever channel the cable happens to be on. Any sugesstions on how to set it up?

Thanks,

Alan

10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Are you using an IR blaster from the Tivo to the cable box?

11. Alan Gross

Alan Gross New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    No I am not. Please explain what that is and how do you hook it up? Where can I purchase this?

12. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

There should be one that came with your Tivo. It should look like this http://www.weaknees.com/images/cables/tivo_ir_blaster.jpg.

On the back of the Tivo there's an "IR out". Connect the blaster to that and put the emiters on the cable box. Then, read this http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1069.htm.

When you change the channel on the Tivo, the emitters will send the signal to the cable box and the box should change to the proper channel.

13. half.italian

half.italian New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    I ran into the same problem when i first hooked up my tivo to an Adelphia cable box. Both serial and Ir connections send channel changes to the tivo as either "001" "01" or "1"

If the cable box is not set to accept the numbers the same way that the tivo is set to deliver them, the tivo will fail when trying to change channels. Verify that you can even change the channel by typing in differnet combinations of 1, 2,and 3 digit channels and see if the channel up/down works ok. If it looks like this might be the problem, you can change the setting on the tivo in part of the guided setup. I had to call my cable company to find out where to change it on the cable box, and found it under prefernces some where. Make sure the settings are copacetic for both devices.

Sorry i can't give you specifics, but once you know what the problem is and you poke around a bit, you should be able to get it working. Good luck.

14. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Actually, since he said he's not using an IR blaster, then the TiVo just plain isn't controlling the cable box at all.

That's why the channels aren't changing.

First let's get the TiVo talking to the cable box, and then we can worry about if the IR signal is being sent too fast or too slow. :)

15. Alan Gross

Alan Gross New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks for your responses. I am trying to find the IR blaster that came with my TIVO. Will that help my TIVO unit talk to the cable box? I don't understand the following:

2 unsubbed Philips series 1s- HDR212, 163hrs, & a jealous PTV300, 141hrs.

Thanks,

Alan

16. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

You can purchase another IR blaster if you need to. I think you can get them on the TiVo website, but an internet search for "IR blaster" or "IR emitter" should also come up with something for you. Wish I had an actual URL here...

You're reading my membership signature, describing my two TiVo units going thru sibling rivalry. ;)

17. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

See if this URL does you any good...

http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html#XANTECH

Can't vouch for them. Just found them thru a search.

18. christyking80

christyking80 New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I've been a Tivo customers for years. I've had the series 2, series 3, and now also have the Premiere. I love Tivo, but am also getting frustrated with it. Since October, Tivo has been aware of a problem that it has with Comcast. I don't know the technicalities of the issue, but on the user end I am well aware.

The program guide is not able to recognize many of the channels. Most of those channels are in HD; and without it recognizing the channels, it does not have the programming for those channels, and therefore, I am not able to record them. So while I would otherwise have the opportunity to tivo Comedy Central in HD, I have to settle for the SD channel, because that's the only channel tivo can recognize.

Customer service only tells me that it has been reported and they are working on it. Stock answer. Means nothing.

Aside from that I have no issue. But you would have to admit, that's a big issue.