Using Tivo with Cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by leslie0629, Dec 28, 2005.

1. leslie0629

leslie0629 New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Hi guys, I just found a great local deal on Tivos, and I was wondering two things.

First, I have the classic analog cable, however, I am lacking the program guide and such. Will TiVo allow me to receive a program guide? Also, will it act like a digital cable box?

Thanks.

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Yes, that's all I have is analog cable, and I LOVE the TiVo program guide. Of course, you must subscribe to TiVo; it's not free ;)!

3. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    A stand-alone Tivo has an EPG (electronic program guide). Guide data is downloaded via phone or broadband connection. So yes ... it will provide you with a (very nice) program guide.

Not sure about "act like a digital cable box". In addition to a guide, digital cable boxes can be used for:
    1) Digital (QAM modulated) channels
    2) VOD (video on demand) from your cable company
    3) PPV (pay per view) from your cable company
    4) Switched broadcast channels

Current stand-alone Tivos won't "act like a digital cable box" for any of these.

4. leslie0629

leslie0629 New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes, I only meant for the program guide, how far in advance can it go? I never order PPVs or VODs, so I guess analog cable will be good with the TiVo, I don't see the reason of getting dig and its much cheaper. :)

Also, is the lifetime subscription worth its value? It seems like a great deal to me.

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    TiVo's program guide (provided by Tribune Media Services) goes out 14 days.

Lifetime ($299) pays for itself after two years (24 months X $12.95 = $310.80).

6. Jan 2, 2006 #6 of 11
    audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    TiVo actually works best with Analog Cable. The on screen guide will work great. Take the plunge!

AC

7. Jan 2, 2006 #7 of 11
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I use TiVo with Analog cable and the guide data from TiVo (same as at www.zap2it.com) is cleaned up well for first run shows nad wishlist searches. better than the guide from the cable company.

if this is the first TiVo than lifetime is the way to go. Hook it up to broadband and you get some free online services from Yahoo as well - like audio podcasts playable on the TiVo.

8. Jan 2, 2006 #8 of 11
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Lifetime subscription is the lifetime of the box, not your lifetime. If you go buy a new TiVo someday, you'll have to get a new subscription for that new box.

9. Leota

Leota New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I have been unsure on which route to go here. I think you have helped clarify my options. I was wondering how Tivo would look on a lg led tv... does anyone have one of these? The picture looks great when I play DVDs on it, is the picture quality comparable? Thanks.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you actually plan to use it with analog cable, don't get an Elite.

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

You realize that the thread/post you responded to is over 6 years old, right?