Using TiVo to transfer VHS and Laserdisc

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tonyaldr, Dec 18, 2015.

1. tonyaldr

tonyaldr New Member

Nov 22, 2002

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Series 2 sitting in an apartment with no home network of any kind. Would it be possible to hook up a VHS or Laserdisc player to record the programs onto the offline TiVo and then carry the TiVo back home, hook up to my network and transfer the programming to my PC using TiVo Desktop? Or does there always have to be network connectivity when using the TiVo? Thx!

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Does it have service? A S2 will not record anything if it doesn't have service. It also needs to have called in recently, like in the last 2 weeks, to verify it has service.

If that part is good then you can do it. IIRC you setup a manual recording for channel 0 for the composite inputs and channel 1 for s-video.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Retail VHS tapes may have macrovision copy protection. Laserdisc doesn't have any copy protection. The main issue would be that you would have no way to name the recordings on the tivo. You would have to send the composite or rf out from the vcr or laserdisc player to the corresponding input on the tivo so the tivo will think the input is really comming from channel 3 or channel 4. I think the titles would be what is in the guide for channel 3 or channel 4 or no program information available. There are a few specific S2 mondels with DVD recorders that will allow you name a recording from an external source.

Is it really worth the time and effort to do this when you could probably find the content on netflix or amazon prime? Unless you have a raid array or some type of backup scheme, your disk will eventually fail and you will lose the recordings.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    As mentioned above there was a trick that allowed you to use channels 0 and 1 to gain access to the inputs for TiVos configured to use cable. When you set up a manual recording on them you get generic time/date the recording was done as the title.

You can fix the title if you transfer them to a PC and then use pyTiVo and metadata generator to create the proper info for the recordings, then transfer them back. (depending on what your ultimate goal is)

Also TiVo can record sources with Macrovision, but the recording will be blocked from transferring to a PC, so that could be an issue.

5. tonyaldr

tonyaldr New Member

Nov 22, 2002

Advertisements

Thx, folks. The renaming of the recordings would take place on the pc end after transfer with Tivo Desktop so no problem with that. I believe that the series 2 also did not care about Macrovision so the copy protection points don't apply. Did not know about the channel 0 and 1 options so I'll try it. I have a unit which has service, but I was wondering if that would matter if there is no network connectivity. Well, I'll soon find out! :)

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If 0 and 1 don't work then you can repeat Guided Setup and twll it you have DirecTV, but if you don't have connectivity then that's not an option as GS needs to make a couple of calls home to finish.

7. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    How about taking the TiVo out of the equation altogether?
    There's a lot of transfer kits that will take the RCA outputs from a VCR directly to the USB on your PC. As cheap as $10 direct from China on eBay or some older Diamond models available too.

8. tonyaldr

tonyaldr New Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Thx, but I gave up on PC transfer as frequently I would get audio de-synch. Never happens with the TiVo.

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    It was stated previously that Tivo won't allow you to transfer macrovision recordings to your PC. The Tivo will record the shows with macrovision, but you have no way to transfer to your computer and rename the shows.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    In 2005 TiVo put out release 7.2 which implemented MacroVision copy protection. Ever since that release Series 2 TiVos will record and play programs with MacroVision but MRV will obey MacroVision copying rules and pass through MacroVision in the output signal.

Although it's not your issue, some cable companies implemented MacroVision in their DVRs and some did not; although the law apparently required it be done, nobody seemed to care much. I believe TWC was one of the ones that obeyed the law; to this day they remain copy protection enthusiasts.