1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using TiVo Hydra with a Universal Remote -- Tips

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by High Technology, Oct 29, 2017.

1. High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    I thought I'd open a thread here for those using universal remote control to discuss any programming changes / suggestions. Here are a few comments/observations from me to start with:

I'll start with the BACK button -- that button is critical in the Hydra interface, as it replaces the use of the left directional pad button as a "Back" in Hydra. My Harmony 650 remote previously had the EXIT key mapped to the EXIT button, and I have since mapped the EXIT key to the BACK button command for ease of use. You really need/want that BACK button to be within reach at all times...

A second observation for those of us that may have used previous generation TiVo remotes to program our universal remotes, you may have been using the older Window/Zoom button since that predates the Back button and the old EXIT button on the old peanut remote (meaning those that pre-date the Premiere/Roamio/Bolt line). I am guilty of this as my touchscreen was programmed from an old (DirecTiVo?) peanut remote, and here appears a minor difference between the remote code for Window/Zoom on some older remotes and the newer ZOOM code on the Mini/Premiere remote (I don't have a Roamio so I don't know what's on that remote). Similarly, the old peanut Exit button issues a different command than the EXIT button. So if you're seeing odd behavior, reprogram your remote from a newer remote that has "Zoom", "Back" and "Exit" buttons.

As a side-note on the differences in the EXIT button, the old peanut remote EXIT button will get you back to watching full screen on a recorded program once you've gone into one of the menu options. For example, I am watching a recording am thinking of switching to another recording on my TiVo (or for some other reason want to go to the menu) and then change my mind -- the old peanut remote EXIT button will bring me back to my recording in full screen mode. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this with the newer remotes on Hydra (but admittedly I didn't try really hard and my one remote with an EXIT button is in RF-mode and once I got it working on my universal remote I stopped tinkering).

Third, the legacy TiVo peanut remote "LIST" button still works in Hydra to get directly to your recordings. Note that if you use this command, Hydra remembers where you were in the list (I'd consider that a feature), whereas if you go in via the Main Menu and Option 1 (or via TiVo-TiVo) you get to the beginning of the list.

gonzotek likes this.
  2. hapster85

hapster85 Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Interesting info. My Roamio OTA remote has Back and Zoom, but no Exit. In the scenario you mentioned above, with wanting to go back to watching a recording after bringing up a menu, I would push the Zoom button, to bring the recording back full screen. Not having Exit button was a big adjustment, coming from a DirecTV remote, and before that, a cable box remote.

3. Nordic4tKnight

Nordic4tKnight New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Seems like the harmony lost the last channel opportunity. I had previously used that just fine and mapped the Enter button which did both: Enter and last channel. Now with the update it doesn’t seem to work anymore.

4. Nordic4tKnight

Nordic4tKnight New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Select also doesn’t seem to work when you swipe left to see your favorites. You can scroll up and down but not select anything.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I could.

But the left list is useless. It always starts at the lowest channel. Just bring up the guide.

Fios has a recents on the left. I don’t use it often but it works better.

6. High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Both of these commands work for me. Dig out your original TiVo remote and try them -- you may also be finding some evolutionary differences in these codes vs. the Harmony library. My Harmony 650 works fine for both of these actions with Hydra, but I don't remember if I manually learned codes on the remote or not -- I primarily use a Marantz 9500 touchscreen, which is the same as Philips Pronto Pro I believe.

I do remember having to learn some codes on the Harmony manually, but I don't remember which/when. So the Back/Exit and the List buttons were the only ones that thus far had to be updated for mine with Hydra.

7. High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    The LEFT cursor key brings up your favorite channels -- you need to set those up in the MENU >> SETTINGS >> USER PREFERENCES >> FAVORITE CHANNELS. Until these are set up, I believe every channel is defaulted to as a favorite.

8. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Unless you limit your favorites to about 10, it is useless.

9. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    I have to disagree with you here. I don't find it useless having more than 10 channels set. However we all have our preferences and that's acceptable.

Hail Hydra

Jack

10. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Select works for me with My Harmony Remote, when I pull up the favorites list on the left I can select the channel or right I can select the tuner.

Hail Hydra

Jack

11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It shows 3 at a time. Anything more than three screens worth, you might as well use the guide. If the icons were smaller. Like I said, Fios has a better implementation.

My first directv box had a three by three grid. You hit select and it popped up. Quickly configurable on the fly. Very useful. No one seems to have copied that.

12. cook

cook New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    California
    Try using the Zoom button for the problem you're having. I use it to get out of anything from menus, streaming apps recordings...

13. High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    I played a bit more with the original remotes from a few different generations of TiVos using my Bolt+. Here's some observations on Hydra (these are behaviors observed, I haven't captured/compared the IR codes to ensure the codes are the same):

The Zoom button functionality on the Premiere remotes is different than the Zoom button functionality on a Bolt remote (again, I don't have a Roamio/2nd Gen Mini, so I don't know which generation changed the functionality). In particular, the Zoom button on the Premiere remotes appears to work like the Back button from the Bolt remote -- it steps back through the Menus one at a time. Note the Premiere remote doesn't have a Back button.

The Zoom button on the Bolt remote (which has a separate back button acts like the Exit button on the old DirecTivo peanut remote. So it works like Exit, in that it takes you all the way back to the full screen video if you've got a window (i.e., from going through the menus).

The new Vox remote has Back and Exit, but not Zoom

Regardless of what the buttons are labeled, you'll definitely want a programmed button for BACK functionality -- from whatever remote/code set you have access to.

So basically, what I am trying to say is that if you programmed your universal from a Premiere remote (or a code set based on the Premiere codes), your Zoom button is really the Back button in Hydra. But if you programmed from a later remote version (or code set) you probably had a Back button already. Thinking back, I believe I did have to manually learn the back button on my Harmony remote when I got my Bolt.

Also, you'll also want an Exit button programmed somewhere in your universal, so you'll have a single button press to get back to full screen video if you have a menu up with a video window.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  14. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    My head is zooming and backing through an exit, making me dizzy.

15. Miles267

Miles267 Member

Feb 20, 2017
    How do you search the guide now in Hydra? Used to be able to hit ENTER key on peanut remote to search. No longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Don’t think you do. Need to do menu 3.

17. JGC650I

JGC650I New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    On my Harmony, I programmed the "short press" on the left directional button as the normal left, but reset the "long press" to use the Back function. Is working well to somewhat make-up for my natural muscle memory tendency to want to continue to use the left directional button. Still sometimes do the short press in error, but less frequently now.

18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Wow.

I have a co worker who mapped dos commands to Unix so she was comfortable. Took her years to move on.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Harmonies don't have Back buttons, so it's not a question of "moving on," it's a question of trying to get that functionality one way or another (which was built-in on Harmonies under the old OS, since Harmonies DO have Left buttons).

20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    And no one programmed the zoom button?