Using the H20 and R15 together?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by orie, Jan 20, 2006.

1. orie

orie New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I currently have a H20 DirecTV HD receiver that I use on my HDTV. I wanted to purchase a DVR to complement it. I saw that DirecTV offers the R15 so I thinking of purchasing that.

Now, I am reading that it apparently doubles as a regular receiver as well as a DVR? Is there anyway to use these 2 boxes together (the H20 as my actual HD receiver and the R15 as just a DVR)? Or am I screwed and I need to purchase the $599 HD-DVR box?

Is there a way to set a specific input on my TV to switch back and forth between the two? What lines would I have to run from my Dish? I currently only have 1 free coax connection on my dish. (1 line run for my HD Box, 2 lines run for my other TVs/receivers in bedrooms).

Thanks

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Orie...

First... For those two products (since neither of them are TiVo based) you will get some more answers over at www.dbstalk.com

But to answer your questions.
    I have both, and both hooked up at the same time.

The R15 doesn't "double" as a reciever... it simply IS a reciever that is also a DVR.
    The R15 can only record programming that comes over the SAT signal. It can not accept any signal other then the DirecTV source.

The R15 and R10 (and other TiVo products) are all the same. They can't RECORD an HD signal... one reason as you can get the HD signal into it.

The HR10-250 is the only HD DVR out there right now.
    The HR20 (the one based of the R15 base, but will do HD) is expected possible by mid-year 2006.

Too have both of them hooked up to your account at once, you are looking at a $10.98 increase in your monthly bill. ($5.99 for DVR services, $4.99 for the mirroring fee for the second box).

Your TV should be able to support two inputs. You would need to check your TV manual for that, as all TV's are not the same.

As for the feeds from the dish...

If you order the R15 from DirecTV, installation should include the installation of a multiswitch which will give you the extra feed you need from the SAT signal.

3. orie

orie New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    thanks for the reply. I will look into it. Maybe an actual TiVo box is really what I am looking for. It may make the process a little easier.

4. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    As in a TiVo, INC. TiVo box... barely, as you will still need to pay their fees (12.99) and you still ultimately won't be able to record the HD versions of the signal.

(And I don't think their boxes are updated yet to work with the H20)

But as for an SD-DTivo (such as the R10)... It is 100% same setup and feature set as using the R15 (with relation to how it will work and setup with your H20)

5. orie

orie New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Yeah, I don't mind not being able to record HD versions.

I am just a little concerned on the amount of Coax I need to run. I currently have: H20 on my main HDTV, and 2 RCA regular receivers in 2 bedrooms. The dish has 4 coax connectors. One we have going straight from the dish to the H20. Right now, I only have 1 other coax line running from the dish to a splitter/multiswitch? (i'm not really sure) and then two lines coming out from that going to each of the bedrooms. However I need to change this as each bedroom receiver does not receive full programing (probably because of the switch). So if I need to run another coax line, that only leaves me with one extra connector for the R15 when it requires 2. Would I be able to split the last connector?

6. cjhild

cjhild New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    So in this config (H20 and R15) hooked up to one TV, how many RG6 cables do you have running from the dish to the TV?

I am thinking about picking up an H20 and an R15 to get going with HD and a DVR until the HR20-250 comes out.

7. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Optimally.... 4

Two for the R15 and one for the H20 and one for the H20's OTA feed (if you have an seperate Over the Air Antenna)

8. cjhild

cjhild New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Do you switch inputs on your TV to watch the stuff you record? So H20 is on input 1 and your R15 is on input 2?

9. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Yes, that is what you would do...

10. cjhild

cjhild New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Do you find that to be too much of a pain?

I want to get HD now and I want DVR now. I have standard D* now. I am thinking that the H20 with R15 might be a good way to go for now. That way I don't have to spend the $450 now for the HR10-250 when the HR20 should be out (hopefully) within six months. D* said that I can get the first six months waived for the second unit (R15), so that way I will only have to spend around $200 to get into the good stuff without having to wait. Also, if I go with the H20 and R15 I am gauranteed the 5 LNB dish from D* on the install, that way I am set when the HR20 comes out. Thoughts?

11. wyatt9696

wyatt9696 New Member

Jan 1, 2003
    WallyWorld, CT
    i'm doing the h20 w/ r10 on weds. i have the r10 already, dtv is just running the 2 feeds for the ota signal and the sat signal. i'm not fussy about recording the hd feeds right now. not much out there. i figured i'd possibly upgrade to the new hd dvr when the time is right, and the bugs are out. i will be able to get the mpeg 4 locals in april, so they tell me. i now have a triple lnb dish, and will obviously upgrade to the 5 lnb when i have to.

12. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Small pain... but nothing major... If you get a good universal remote, the pain goes away very fast.

If they are going to give you the AT9 dish now... that is the way to go.

13. Jwill72

Jwill72 New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Wow how weird. I was just going through this exact dilemna today for my new install that's set for March 25. I ordered the H20 and R15 separatly and I'll be getting the LNB 5 AT9 dish. But I loathe the thought of switching between two receivers to get both HD and DVR capabilities.

What about the possibility of getting a free upgrade to the HR20 from the HR10-250? DTV is offering a $100 rebate on the initial lease cost of the HR10-250 which puts it at $399. I'd imagine the HR20 will be at least that if not more.

I'm still not sure that getting the H20 and R15 separately is the best way to go for me, however I'm not overly excited about shelling out $400 for a piece of equipment that I won't own either.