Using the clear key to delete shows and groups.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by plazman30, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2011 #1 of 14
    plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Is using the clear key to delete shows and groups documented anywhere in the TiVo documentation?

I just read the Viewer's Guide and could not find it.

I found the tip on a thread here and it's a godsend. My kids record all sorts of stuff. It's nice to be able to take a whole folder of Good Luck Charlie episodes and whack them all with just a click of the clear key and a confirmation?

2. Jun 8, 2011 #2 of 14
    tunarollz

tunarollz Jon at TiVo

Jun 1, 2011
    Sunnyvale, CA
    a bit confused. if you're using the shortcut key today, why is it important to find in the docs?

3. Jun 8, 2011 #3 of 14
    MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm guessing he is wanting to verify it is an approved shortcut, and not just a glitch in the software.

But yes I agree the Clear key is the only way to go when deleting shows, and especially for groups of shows.

4. Jun 8, 2011 #4 of 14
    tunarollz

tunarollz Jon at TiVo

Jun 1, 2011
    Sunnyvale, CA
    ah. gotcha. definitely not a glitch. :) and definitely one of my favorite shortcuts!

5. Jun 8, 2011 #5 of 14
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You may also be interested in the Keep At Most setting in the Season Pass options. If you set Good Luck Charlie to Keep At Most 1 then you'll never have more then one episode cluttering up your TiVo.

Dan

6. Jun 8, 2011 #6 of 14
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Pages 3, 6, and mentioned on page 87 in the TiVo Premiere's "The Complete Guide".

7. Jun 8, 2011 #7 of 14
    plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I want it in the docs so everyone knows about it. The DirecTV DVR has the ability to delete a whole folder, and with my switch back to TiVo, it was the one feature I really missed. I'm now glad that I can do the same thing with the TiVo.

8. Jun 8, 2011 #8 of 14
    plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Will that work for manually recorded shows? Disney channel will do a marathon and the kids go into the guide and record a half a day worth of shows.

It amazes me how a kid can watch the same rerun over and over again. You set up a season pass for new episodes only and the kids get upset because the show didn't record.

9. Jun 8, 2011 #9 of 14
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. If you set up a repeat manual recording, you can go into the recording options and choose to keep only one episode at a time.

If the kids are selecting to record from the guide, every episode will be saved. AFAIK there is no way to circumvent that.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've been using the clear button to delete individual items for about as long as I've been TiVo'ing, but never thought to see if it was "official", I just discovered that it could be done and save me a step or two.

However, since I don't have any folders that I feel like losing, does it really wipe out a folder and its contents at one push, and if so, without warning? (Are you sure....as Windows would say)

That seems a little too likely to cause accidents. Do all of what's in the deleted folder wind up in the Recently Deleted folder, and if recovered from there, do they automatically re-folderize themselves if there aren't any more episodes scheduled in the forseeable future?

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    FYI the "clear" button also works to delete shows when MRV browsing another Premiere since the 14.8 release. Folder delete doesn't work for that case though. Still, long overdue functionality (ReplayTV had this eons ago) that is finally available.

12. tunarollz

tunarollz Jon at TiVo

Jun 1, 2011
    Sunnyvale, CA
    No. there's a 'delete group?' confirmation

13. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Can not delete a whole folder with a Series 2. Even by accident. Only starting with Series 3 can you delete entire folder of shows, and only after a "confirmation" prompt.

14. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    For folders it asks you if you want to delete the folder and everything in it.