Using Stream 4K with Roamio Plus

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by mkc@sbcglobal.ne, Nov 15, 2020.

1. mkc@sbcglobal.ne

mkc@sbcglobal.ne MairC

Nov 9, 2006
    Napa, CA

Advertisements

I was thinking of purchasing the Stream 4k to use with my Roamio Plus, but I'm confused about the concept. Can I still access my Roamio content, interface, and live TV? I've researched for awhile now and I can't find anything that explains how the two would interact. Can anyone explain it to me? Thanks.

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No. They don't interact at all. It's just a generic Android TV streaming device with the Tivo name on it. This is precisely why most of us are so deeply disappointed in the Stream 4k. The new Google Chromecast is a much better device, if you like the Android TV operating system.

3. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Correct. They do not interact. The sad thing is it can be done. Why they did not want to create a TiVo ecosystem so that every person with a TiVo dvr would have their own highway into the streaming world. One remote, one tv input.

Noelmel and Dan Cour like this.
  4. Old Roamio 0

Old Roamio 0 New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    I have an old, from several years back ancient Roamio. So I already own a tivo tivo. It has been a great machine, and much joy over the years to my family. We have programs that are on it - [green icon :save until I delete]. Since I recorded them ota and we do not live directly in town sometimes the transmission quality is low on the ota machine. I just watch it now on the stream if the show is now currently available to view.

I think with their predictive algorithms that a person's viewing habits would get reproduced rather quickly on the the ts4k or google tv anyway.

At my house the tivo Roamio is on one input and the ts4k is on another. I can search for what shows I want to see on the Roamio (I already own it so it is not a problem to look for shows with it too) and then watch them easier on the ts4k if on one of the streaming services.

People worry because the new streamers do not show suggestions, but all they have to do it look at the "My Shows" on a tivo if they own the legacy type tivo - the dvr ones too.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  5. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011

Advertisements

>> The new Google Chromecast is a much better device, if you like the Android TV operating system.

If you like TIVO remote .. get the TS4K .. I have both, TS4K and Chromecast with Google TV .. I don't see that Chromecast is better for what I do. I subscribe to Google TV, HBO/MAX, Disney, Netflix and Prime. All work fine with TS4K. Actually like the TIVO interface better too.

I much prefer the Tivo Remote.

Remotes 20201120_102950.jpg

6. MKREdit

MKREdit Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Has anyone attempted to download the android Tivo app (since this is just a android TV box) from the play store to see if it can connect to a Tivo DVR? Without this functionality I don't see a reason to purchase.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020 at 9:55 AM
  7. jlanzy

jlanzy New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I have 2 roamios and a premier plus...IT SURE WOULD BE NICE IF THE 4k STREAM WOULD COMMUNICATE WITH THEM SO I COULD WATCH BOTH RECORDED PROGRAMS AND STREAMED PROGRAMS WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE INPUTS...hint hint TIVO. No really, I use a Roku Ultra now and do like it a lot, but would get the tivo streamer in a heartbeat if it would allow watching my recorded tivo dvr programs also. Otherwise, tivo streamer has no advantage over my Roku at least for the apps that I use...well, alright, it will sooner than later get hbo max now that Fire TV has it.

Noelmel likes this.
  8. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    >> WATCH BOTH RECORDED PROGRAMS AND STREAMED PROGRAMS WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE INPUTS.
    Wouldn't that require Tivo DVR and Tivo Stream to share one input? How would that work?

9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    if you were streaming with the ts4k, you could stay on that same device and pull up your recorded shows from your various tivos if the ts4k worked with the tivo boxes...which it does not

10. jlanzy

jlanzy New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    The dvrs see each other on the wifi network as well as Moca and lets us choose the other dvrs to see what is on them to choose and watch so I assume the the streamer would need software in its wifi to be able to 'see' the dvrs on the same network. It's just difficult to discern why tivo didn't include that ability since tivo has been a dvr since day one. They brag about how the streamer can 'aggregate' your subscribed apps ( but not your tivo recorded shows) but totally neglect the customer base that made them who are in the dvr world.

Noelmel likes this.
  11. jlanzy

jlanzy New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Oh, note to TIVO powers that be, there may some of us that have not dumped our dvrs for streaming only so please don't dump us...alright, I'm done ranting...for the moment :)

12. Old Roamio 0

Old Roamio 0 New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Of course they would kill off their dvr and service fee revenue if a streamer connects to the legacy dvrs. ... Because no one with a tivo would ever buy another dvr if a $49 streamer that's henceforth free and clear of fees functioned as a dvr box replacement.!

13. jlanzy

jlanzy New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    The streamer wouldn't replace the dvr only be able to show and play whatever is on a tivo, if you have a tivo. Tivo 4K stream obviously is seeking the much much larger base of subscribers that mostly stream and don't record. You would think that Tivo would have entered the rapidly growing streamer market with a unique feature to allow 'seeing' an installed tivo programs and play them via the streamer...but, nooo, just another me too streaming product, that even some tivo-philes are favoring the google tv.

14. Old Roamio 0

Old Roamio 0 New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Its mostly the added fee - monthy, yearly, or lifetime. A person gets a tv grid which is worth something, but not their price. None of that is paid by folks who buy a device that streams or who watch ota. Many people have multiple tivos. The reasons for doing that 20 years ago was during an era with a lot less options. Doing so today might not make as much financial sense as it once did when there are other ways to get the guides and suggestions, but in addition: plus some actual content for the money, Times change.