1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Roamio with a 4k LG TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by iacino, Sep 15, 2018.

1. iacino

iacino New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    We get flickering of shows with our new LG 4k TV and the only solution is to unplug the hd cable from the tv and plug it back in EVERYTIME we turn on the tv. We have Tivo set to the highest resolution of 1080 automatic and we do not want to go any lower as that will defeat the purpose of having a 4k tv. We have gone through a few hd tv cables thinking that was the issue and it appears someone else on this forum had the same issue but I can't understand how he overcame it. We've also tried different HD ports as well. We don't want to throw out this box and just want the flickering to stop. Please help!

2. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I never had that problem, but I found that the TV did better upscaling than the Roamio, so I have my Roamio set to pass through whatever resolution is being broadcast (enabled every resolution) and let the TV do the upscaling. Don't know if that could have anything to do with it.

3. iacino

iacino New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Not sure I understand. Can you explain how I upscale?

4. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    It just does. As far as I know you can't pass any signal to the LG TV without it upscaling it to fit the screen. On the Roamio, checking every possible resolution will cause the Roamio to just pass that resolution along on the output if it sees it on the input signal, so the Roamio basically does nothing and the LG TV does all the work. (Of course if you have an AV receiver in the chain, it may also get involved in doing upscaling, but that depends on the receiver).

5. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    I have occasionally had my LG flake out in strange ways, but if I completely disconnect the power till there is no more flashing red light, then restore the power it is usually better for a long time, till it gets confused again. I've got one of my spare home automation Z-Wave switches on the TV power now, so I don't have to root around for the plug any longer :).

6. iacino

iacino New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    So, basically what you are recommending is to select lower resolutions on the Tivo box until the flickering stops? The resolution selected will not be the resolution the tv outputs?

7. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't know if the flickering will stop, I'm just saying how I'm using mine :). As far as I know, the LG TVs always upscale whatever signal they get so it fills the screen.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please forgive me if this sounds like I am talking down to you. I'm not. A TV always displays in its maximum/best resolution. There is no adjustment on your TV for resolution. So, you feed it what you want and it still displays (in your case) 4k. But 4k is designed to give you every detail to the best of its ability. If you feed it great UHD content, you see great UHD content. But you feed it 480i SD stuff like Gunsmoke, expect your TV to gladly show you every possible imperfection in the source picture.

When you select only AUTO, look at the right side of that screen and TiVo shows you what your TV likes to receive. I have a 1080p TV yet my TiVo tells me it would prefer 1080i (under TE3) and 1080p (under TE4). I only check 1080i since 90% of my content is 1080i and I feel my TV has more power than my TiVo. Let the TV do the conversion. Sorry if I'm repeating what has already been posted.

As for flickering, you might find your TV on AVSForum or Google and see if it is a common problem. Good luck.