Using Roamio RF Remote with Premiere 4XL and Dongle?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Red Pimpernel, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Red Pimpernel

Red Pimpernel Lurking Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Milwaukee WI
    I have a Premiere 4XL. I just bought a slide RF remote with a dongle and it works GREAT! I also bought a Roamio IR/RF remote with the hope that it would also pair to the Premiere's new dongle, but so far no luck. Is this possible or should I just send the Roamio remote back and get another slide?

I'm hoping to keep the cheaper/lighter weight Roamio remote because the other user drops her remote (a lot) onto the hardwood floor, and I feel the slides being so heavy, would be a lot more delicate.

2. Red Pimpernel

Red Pimpernel Lurking Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Milwaukee WI
    Answering my own question. I had left the non-pairing Roamio remote sitting in front of the Premiere for the last two weeks while I got around to posting my question. checking the RF Pairing tag led me to info about RF interferance blocking the pairing. When I went to explore that option, I saw that the remote is now blinking the red light on button pushes, instead of the amber. Huzzah! I did have RF interference (possibly the TV?) and at some point the interference was absent long enough for the remote to pair itself. Yay!

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you press a button that is for a Tivo function and its blinks red, its in IR mode. Press/Hold Tivo + D will switch it to RF mode. (Blinks yellow.)
    Likewise, Press/Hold Tivo + C will switch to IR mode. (Blinks red.)

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    True. But an IR command still has an amber LED. If there is RF interference the remote does drop to IR mode and blinks red. Cover the remote with your hand and it will go back to RF in two button presses.