Using Roamio OTA , Directv Now and Playon.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by 19972000muskrat, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Feb 6, 2018 #1 of 16
    19972000muskrat

19972000muskrat Active Member

Jan 2, 2008

Advertisements

Using Roamio OTA, Directv Now and Playon. Just wanted to share my views on the Playon software. I really had low expectations on how well it would work but those quickly changed. It is great for recording shows. I am currently a DTVN Beta user and unless they make some major advancements I think I will just continue using Playon. Playon plays recordings back easier and also has an auto skip function. I got the lifetime for 29.99 but then saw on a Reddit post you can get it for $19.99. I highly recommend checking it out. There are times though from what I read that there will most likely be login problems when providers change their login authentication process just beware of that fact.

Home Page

giomania likes this.
  2. Feb 6, 2018 #2 of 16
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I have PlayOn, although I haven't used it lately. I agree with your comments. For those not familiar with PlayOn, it is a Windows program that requires a more-than-minimal PC to run well. It records from various streaming sources (e.g., Netflix) at "real-time" rates, i.e., a one hour program takes one hour to record. Last I checked, its HD recordings are 1280x720, H.264 .mp4 with 3 Mbps bitrate, i.e., barely qualifying as "HD". They are passible on TV's up to 50" but I have to wonder about viewing quality for larger sizes.

For some reason, PlayOn has discontinued their support forum, I think for at least two years now. You just get an "under construction" message now. They offer support via messages submitted from within the app UI.

CaseyJ likes this.
  3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Just want to confirm that you can use Playon to create mp4's from streaming services that can be transferred w/o transcoding by pyTivo to a Roamio.

4. 19972000muskrat

Jan 2, 2008
    I believe they have a trial version you could try if your interested. I honestly can't remember if I tried doing what you are asking for or not. Playon has a built in casting feature that works with chromecast and dnla which work pretty good.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston

Advertisements

Yes, playon can create mp4 files that can be transferred to Tivo. Unfortunately its limited to 720p and a pretty low bitrate. Also stereo audio only, no AC3 5.1 tracks. Its been this way for years and they have never upgraded it. Great idea half finished.

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Another question: If you record it with subtitles/captions on, will they be "burned" onto the video. This is what I would want.

Stereo audio is not a problem since I watch TV using BT connected earbuds. Video quality will probably not be a problem unless it is really bad.

The main reason I want to do this is that I hate the navigation options available when using the streaming services apps.

7. CaseyJ

CaseyJ Always read the plaque

Apr 26, 2017
    Completely agree. I don't use Playon often and when I do I usually have problems such as recordings fail, stop after a few minutes or can't be found even though they are on the website.

I have watched Playon recodings via Plex on my Bolt, but prefer to use the Playon app on a Roku or Firestick because the commercial skip function works very well.

8. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    have had a lifetime playon sub for years. its great for d/l stuff from netflix to transfer to my ipad. also the "my media" channel is awesome for watching vids on your PC

9. 19972000muskrat

Jan 2, 2008
    Yes it will record whatever is on the screen at the time. Frankly I think the video quality is pretty good it's a lot better than HD sub channels on over the air.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Well, I went ahead and purchased it. So far major disappointment. It has failed 7 times to record "New Tricks" S1E7 from Hulu. One time it thought it had succeeded but the recording was only 41m long while it should have been 52m. And the last couple of minutes was the same frame.

11. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Yeah -- PlayOn is more disappointing every month. The list of sites it works on gets smaller and smaller as sites break PlayOn faster than they can re-enable them. And the stuff that is 'supposed' to work has more failures than successes when you try to 'record' them.

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Update: Successfully recorded two episodes. Finally got the initial one to work and the second one (S2E1) worked on first retry after initial failure.

13. 19972000muskrat

Jan 2, 2008
    You also have to remember Playon can only be as good as your incoming stream. The couple of minutes of the same frame is probably what Playon was seeing from Hulu as it basically records what you would actually see on your screen if you were watching it. I thought I was having trouble with Playon recording my Directv Now but turned out I was not getting the stream from Directv Now therefore Playon couldn't record it.

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I realize all of that but one of the problems with PlayOn is that it has no automatic retry. This is a feature that people have been requesting for at least 6 years. PlayOn ignores all posts on the subject.

15. 19972000muskrat

Jan 2, 2008
    Yes I agree it's far from perfect. I get the feeling it's just a handful of people that are running the operation and I suppose they make enough to get by on without fixing everything in a timely matter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

16. 19972000muskrat

Jan 2, 2008
    Tried the pyTiVo desktop software today with my Roamio. This works really great especially if the Playon recorded show does not have adskip available. In addition I do not have to deal with two different remotes or devices to control playback.

I had to add this "-muxdelay 0" to the "Additional FFmpeg Commands" box
    of the pyTiVo desktop software in order for the manual fast forward skip to work properly. It fixed an issue where the skip actually backs up when you first start forward and then skips to far ahead if you wait very long to stop it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018