Using Old Tivo as VCR

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Digby, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Digby

Digby New Member

Jul 10, 2002

Advertisements

I am taking advantage of the Lifetime Transfer offer for 2 TIVO units.

My TIVOs have a substantial number of saved programs on them. Is there someway I can save these programs and run them after the new units are are activated? Saving them to tape is an unhappy thought.

Is there someway to play them through the new units?

Thanks.

Digby

2. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Generally speaking, unsubbed units have no functionality (though there are reports of some still being able to manually record after cancellation).

That being said, even if you cancel a box, you will still be able to play them off of the box. You will not be able to use MRV (multi-room viewing) to watch it through another TiVo.

3. Digby

Digby New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    That's great news. How would I do this???

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    How would you watch a recording on an unsub'd TiVo?

Connect the Tivo's output to the TV's input and tune the TV to the appropriate input source. From Tivo central, choose Now Playing and then choose the recording that you want to watch. Kinda exactly like you do with a subscribed TiVo.

5. sconi1

sconi1 New Member

May 30, 2007

Advertisements

How would a TIVO without the service still be able to record like a VCR? How would it know the actual time of day if it can't download from the service?

6. Carlton Bale

Carlton Bale Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Indianapolis...
  7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I believe the "recording" end of things on that page applies to only the Series 1.

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    That would be why the first sentence on the page is:
    ;)

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    A series one w/o a sub can still call in as often or as seldom as you want it to call in. It will set the time and then check the status of the account.

10. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    There have been reports that the AT&T branded Series 2 still functions as a manual recorder after cancellation.....or so I have heard.

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Officially, all series 2s except the Toshiba and Pioneer units, need subbed to record.

However, it could by by chance or circumstances a Series 2 will continue recording after having its service canceled or transferred to another box.

12. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Current theory under debate in a couple of older threads, is that any S2 will continue to record by time and date as long as it never connects to the mothership after the cancellation of the subscription. People (like me) have reported that their Tivo did not become a boat anchor after 30 days w/o calling home.

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Agreed. I unplugged my AT&TiVo from the wireless adapter prior to making the call.

14. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Actually, this is what was being replied to:

"All TiVo's contains a Real Time Clock and a lithium watch battery to keep it running. Here are the details on manual recording and playback with no subscription:"

Since "all TiVos" were mentioned just before the comment on recording without subscription, it could have been taken as meaning that "all TiVos" can record without subscription.

Since not "all TiVos" can record without being subbed, the comment about Series 1s was made.