Using nudity to help establish a series

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DouglasPHill, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Aug 8, 2020 #1 of 88
    DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO

Advertisements

In season one of Yellowstone there were a few scenes of nudity. I do not remember any from Season 2 nor current Season 3. So that begets the question "Was the season 1 nudity used simply to generate interest?"

What other shows have done the same? I'm thinking Westworld cut back on nudity in later seasons.

2. Aug 8, 2020 #2 of 88
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Shameless has virtually stopped their nudity.

sender_name and LlamaLarry like this.
  3. Aug 8, 2020 #3 of 88
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    These days, more often than not, if nudity is indicated for a show it means you’ll get to see some guy’s bare butt with nary a bare boob in sight!! :(

mattack, cheesesteak and LlamaLarry like this.
  4. Aug 8, 2020 #4 of 88
    ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

5. Aug 8, 2020 #5 of 88
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...

Advertisements

Definitely Westworld. Game of Thrones to a certain extent, though it did continue it was to a lesser degree.

The Alienist isn't showing direct nudity per se, but the storyline this 2nd season is far more sexually charged than the first season.

6. Aug 8, 2020 #6 of 88
    doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Altered Carbon. It may have been more the shift in tone for season 2, and that nudity didn't fit the "action movie/political intrigue" storyline of the season like it did the noir/gumshoe storyline of season 1. But it felt like you couldn't get through 20 minutes of season 1 without full frontal (male and female), and season 2 had almost nothing.

7. Aug 8, 2020 #7 of 88
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The first season of Homeland had nudity almost every episode. Season 2 had sex scenes without nudity then it pretty much stops for the rest of the series.

sender_name likes this.
  8. Aug 8, 2020 #8 of 88
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Stargate SG-1. Although they went back pretty fast to pretend that never happened when they ended up going more Sci-Fi channel, and less Showtime.

Edit: Just looked it up. Showrunners never wanted nudity. Showtime demanded it to launch the series.

sender_name likes this.
  9. Aug 8, 2020 #9 of 88
    zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I can't prove this (I have tried searching) but I have a strong feeling that around 2016 +/- that Hollywood made a conscious decision to cut back on nudity relative to earlier in the decade. I don't know if MeToo affected things but a lot of shows dropped it off fast.

Shameless was my example where virtually the whole adult cast went butt naked so to speak. I remember as soon as soon as Cameron Monaghan turned 18 he had a back side scene. And of course Emmy did plenty. Then it seem to have just stopped and the younger cast who are now older than 18 haven't done anything.

Similarly with other shows it has dropped off fast. I don't think it was establishing the show as the OP suggested but that we are in more conservative times what with Epstein, and Weinstein let alone subsequent accused actors like Hoffman, Kevin Spacey, ...

10. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    "Ballers" was that way, too.

--Carlos V.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    They're just trying to titillate their audience. o_O

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm not sure that was Season 1 so much as just the pilot..?

pendragn likes this.
  13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I wonder if it has to do with how established the actors become as the season moves along. Taking the GoT example, We saw Emilia Clarke nude quite a bit the first season, but later on, hardly nude at all. She became more well known and established and probably felt that the nudity wasn't going to help her career at that point.

sender_name likes this.
  14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I doubt she ever felt the nudity was going to help her career. She was just in a better position to say "No."

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Maybe I worded it wrong, but yeah, that's what I meant. But, if you are an unknown actress, sometimes a way to get your name noticed is through nudity. But yes, a more established actress has more clout to say no.

sender_name likes this.
  16. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I guess Brave New World never got the memo ... ;)
    I think you are spot on with this assessment. What we are seeing is a direct response to the Me Too movement. Studios and production companies are under scrutiny in a way that never existed before, and it's probably just easier to avoid gratuitous nudity and sex scenes. Even when they do have a sex scene, there are much stricter guidelines in place now ...

There's A Whole New Set Of Guidelines For How Movies Go About Simulating Sex

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    tim1724 likes this.
  17. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This topic is specifically addressed in this article ...

Why Altered Carbon Season 2 Has Way Less Nudity Than Season 1

18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I will say that there's much more male nudity than I can ever remember. Are they trying to even things up?

19. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I would say also the nudity that Emilia in season 1 was important to the story and her characters evolution. Just like the walk of shame for Circe was an important moment to the story. The other whore house stuff not so much. But yea I suppose they could have done it PG.

20. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I have no problem with nudity. However, there is just soooooo much wrong with this concept! Do young male actors (and that's what female actors are, actors) have nudity as a way to get their name noticed? No? Hmmm. Wonder why not.

Westworld had quite a bit of nudity and treated it as part of an actual story line for both men and women. I don't necessarily think the best way to make things right is to have men go through the same issues women do, but if nudity is going to be used as part of the story, then yes, it there should be some balance there.

tim1724 likes this.