Using Minis with Orbi or similar

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by VicVinegar, Jun 23, 2019.

1. VicVinegar

VicVinegar New Member

Sep 18, 2015

Advertisements

Most of the threads on this seemed older, so I figured I would ask to see if the situation has improved. I bought a new house, and for whatever reason my MoCA adapters won't link up between coax drops. I checked them with a short run of coax and they link up fine, so I guess I need to do some investigating of the coax cabling.

In the mean time, I was thinking I'd try and grab the Orbi or Eero type system and plug in to the ethernet ports to get the Tivo network up and running. I'd still like to go back to MoCA in the long-term, but I may also just need to hire someone to redo some wiring and fix what previous homeowners have done.

I know in the past using a wireless adapter was pretty awful, but now we're talking Wireless AC these days. It has to produce enough bandwidth on wireless to run the Tivos right?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  2. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Yes. I run my mini off of a Velop mesh WiFi system. As long as the connection between the two mesh units is good, a running a mini should be fine.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Many are using DIY wireless (and Powerline) setups successfully, though wired via Ethernet or MoCA remains preferred (and still the only approach officially supported by TiVo).

MoCA troubleshooting would start with locating the central junction where your coax runs interconnect, checking the MoCA compatibility of the connecting component(s), ensuring a "PoE" MoCA filter is properly installed, and confirming that the targeted locations are actually connected to the central junction. If the house is new, the coax should surely be RG6; otherwise, if it's just "new to you" then you may want to also check the grade of coax cable used (for informational purposes).

Devices similar to the following can make the cable identification job easier:

4. VicVinegar

VicVinegar New Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Thanks - I intend to go back to MoCA, not just for my Tivos, but for all of my home theater stuff. Unfortunately it looks like my coax network is screwed up from previous homeowners. One of the ports on the splitter (mounted outside, exposed to the elements) just broke off when the Verizon guy was here. I think he missed something as well, as I haven't even got my CableCard paired yet. Noticed the splitter has nothing going to the "In" part. House is 18 years old, so we'll see what kind of cable it is.

I'm hoping I can get one coax jack working, and then use the temporary wireless setup to get things up and running, then deal with the MoCA issue later on. New to me house, lots of projects to do.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    krkaufman likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Do you have FiOS? If yes, what are you using for your router, and how is it connected (Ethernet or coax WAN)?

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, that would seem problematic.

7. VicVinegar

VicVinegar New Member

Sep 18, 2015
    As an update, the Verizon box was hosed and needed repair, and so was my splitter. I got two MoCA adapters to link up, so it is a start. I also forgot to buy the Orbis that were on sale at Costco last night, so not rushing to buy those unless I have to.

While I moved to a much larger house, I'm impressed that my ~3 year old Netgear Nighthawk is doing pretty good covering with WiFi.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    krkaufman likes this.