using Mini with pytivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by jrtroo, Oct 15, 2015.

1. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm about to get a mini for the first time, and I know it cannot directly dig into pytivo shares. I'm hoping it can at least stream those that are already pushed/pulled to the host Roamio.

Is that the case?

Thanks in advance.

2. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Yes, that is the case.

3. BD1

BD1 New Member

Sep 29, 2015
    I tried pytivoX and was able to upload a video to my Roamio but it would not stream to my mini.

I know pytivoX and pytivo are different but I just assumed I could not stream to my mini.

So if I install pytivo (on a Mac), I will be able to stream some uploaded videos on my mini? How does this work, can I see the and play these uploaded videos on my Mini?

In my case I have some p90x videos that I want to watch in my exercise room via a mini.

Thanks for any help.

4. BBHughes

BBHughes Member

Dec 26, 2006
    This is one of the things I use Plex for. All my exercise videos are accessible through Plex on my Mini and it works great.

5. BD1

BD1 New Member

Sep 29, 2015
    I am not familiar with Plex. Does my Mac need to be running for it to work?

If possible I would like to not have to have my Mac running but if pytivo can't work then I might get up to speed on Plex.

Really appreciate the idea.

6. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    You have videos pushed to your Roamio by pyTivoX that you can watch on your Roamio but not stream to your Mini? If so, I'd have doubts that that's a pyTivo vs. pyTivoX issue but hopefully others can corroborate and offer suggestions on what to do to debug the problem.

7. BBHughes

BBHughes Member

Dec 26, 2006

If your Mac is the Plex server then yes it would need to be on. My Plex server is a PC that I keep on all the time. The kids are always watching cartoons I've downloaded for them through Plex so I just leave it on all the time.

8. BD1

BD1 New Member

Sep 29, 2015
    So I got Plex setup and working in about 10 minutes.

Thanks for the idea!

9. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Plex is easy but I don't like the transcoding while watching and I miss the navigation ease of the tivo. I think I will try pytivo at some point to transfer shows to watch later on the mini and roamio.

10. BD1

BD1 New Member

Sep 29, 2015
    New to all this stuff.....what is transcoding?

If you get pytivo content to work with mini please post results. With my exercise videos the quality seems fine for my usage so far but if there are quality or UI issues for movies, etc. I would like to understand better.

BTW, this site is great. I am back to using a tivo after a 10 year hiatus and really like be back after my horrible comcast boxes...

11. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    transcoding means that the tivo (via plex) cannot play the source file without the server converting the video and/or audio to a compatible format. Therefore, the server CPU is doing the heavy lifting which means you need enough underpowered servers like a NAS may not cut it. Personally, I'd rather be able to watch my stuff without needing to turn on my CPU. Not a big deal though.

Separate from that is the issue of the user interface. While my CPU can handle the transcoding, the FF/RW and other navigation controls of the plex app are not as robust as watching shows on my roamio.