Using Laptop as a DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by taj2, Jan 15, 2006.

1. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I am quite sure this question has been asked before but a search only revealed answers for Series2 SA or people who wanted to transfer data to the laptop hard drive.

I am going to be purchasing a new laptop with a DVD Recorder and I want to know if it is possible to connect the laptop to the TiVo to burn shows to a DVD?

Note I do not want to do any "hacks, etc" to the TiVo.

Thanks.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You need a capture device, which you use essentially as a VCR, as far as the DVR is concerned.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Most if not all video capture devices feed a RCA or S-VIdeo signal through the capture device and then output to USB. It will work, but the picture quality will not be as good as just copying your shows directly to a standalone DVD burner.

4. vettegofast

vettegofast New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Actually you need some sort of TV tuner for the PC to capture the video in MPEG format and then convert that to DVD and burn it.

5. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    All I want to do is be able to watch shows on my iPod which if DTV would enable SA Tivo functionality I could do with no problem....

I haveheard the new non-Tivo DVR may do this at some point...

6. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    It will support "a wide variety of portable media players". I don't expect the iPod to be one of them, because of DirecTV's interface requirements.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=799955&highlight=

7. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If iPods are not compatible it will once again be "content" providers missing the boat. By far, the iPod is the dominant portable media device that allows one to watch video content.

I just don't get it....perhaps it is Microsofts way of sticking it to Apple as I assume it is because of DRM issues.

8. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    taj:

That's a good guess.

Moreover, apple's business model is set up where THEY get a share of the money for the content.
    Microsoft's model is where the content distributors and creators get the money, and you don't have to sell directly through Microsoft. I think the new Intel ViiV DRM scheme is also more supported by MS at the moment.. and this makes big dumb companies like DirecTV more comfortable.

H