Using IR blaster and remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Boiseboy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Boiseboy

Boiseboy New Member

Sep 16, 2004

Advertisements

I have split the Tivo signal for an upstairs TV. I have an IR blaster and have placed the emitting end about 1 1/2 inches from the Tivo's receiver and off to the side. I was hoping this would allow me to use the remote with the Tivo box when we are downstairs watching Tivo.

The IR blaster works fine but the remote, even with direct line of sight to the receiver, does not trigger the responce as it does if I remove the blaster.

Has anyone been able to get the blaster in such a position to allow both itself and the remote (in the same room as the box) to work??

Thanks
    David

2. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Does the TV respond to the remote when the blaster is move out of the set's "sight"?

BTW I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but you have to be careful when using TiVo and the set's own remote. TiVo assumes it has complete control over channel selection and has no way to tell if the channel has been changed by you, so use of the TV's remote may result in incorrect channels being recorded.

3. Boiseboy

Boiseboy New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I am using the Tivo's remote both upstairs and downstairs at this point. When upstairs I am at the IR component that changes the signal to RF. When I am downstairs, I am aiming at the Tivo box.

When I shift the blaster far enough out of the way, I can consistently controle the Tivo box downstairs. But then I go upstairs and the signal from the blaster is too far off the mark.

4. Boiseboy

Boiseboy New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I take it back. Even when the blasters out of the way, pulled up and 3-4 inches from the Tivo box's receiver, the Tivo own remote is inconsistent. Weird. I don't know much about IR technology. It must absorb something...

Ultimately I will have one remote downstairs and a second Tivo remote upstairs; And I have a feeling I will have to get an IR blaster that picks up signal both downstairs and upstairs.

5. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

Advertisements

http://www.weaknees.com/rf-remote-details.php

6. Boiseboy

Boiseboy New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Does the cool little battery size transmitters disable the IR from the front. In other words can I still control the other equipment with the remote's own IR immiter?

Thanks
    D

7. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I don't own one of those, but I can't imagine how it could possibly disable the remote's own IR.

8. zeeway

zeeway New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I use an IR blaster (separate sensor and emitters) on all of my AV equipment, which is located in a cabinet under the TV. I have the ir emitter stuck on each piece of equipment over the location of the ir eye. The separate remotes all work fine when I choose to open the cabinet door and do it that way.

HOWEVER, when changing over to a plasma tv lately, I found the remotes were going crazy - not consistent at all. I found out that plasma tv's emit spurious ir that interferes with a lot of ir sensors. I found out I had to move my primary ir blaster sensor about 12 inches behind the plane of the tv screen, so that the interference would stop.

So, if you are talking about a separate ir blaster (not the one that comes with tivo), this may help.

9. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Boone. IA
    Many IR remote extenders that use RF, pick up RF interference and put out IR junk signals that bombard the tivo IR sensor. You might try plugging in the remote extender receiver to a x10 module, when you're in the main room turn off the x10 receiver which would then cut power to remote extender, no more junk IR signals getting in the way. When in the remote room, turn the x10 module back on.