Using IDE CompactFlash adapters for older Tivos

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by jwillis84, Dec 1, 2019.

1. jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Does anyone have experience with replacing a Tivo HDD with a IDE CompactFlash Adapter?

I'm thinking that some of the very old Tivos took a Parallel ATA drive that was much smaller than the smallest SSD drives these days and a SATA to Parallel IDE adapter might not be the proper way to go for them. I would be interested in anyones experience or thoughts.

My interests are mostly in Series 2 and Series 3 Tivos.

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    jwillis84 likes this.
  3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The word is to not use solid-state storage for continuous-write applications, like a TiVo. (Theoretically, you could use it for the OS partitions, while using spinning disks for the data partitions.)

4. jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    I know that was the thought back when they were new, but I had heard that a lot of the SSDs had started performing wear leveling on their own internally. I don't know for sure, it could be rumor.

I read elsewhere that the heat from early SSDs was also a problem.

Micron acquired Lexar and shut them down.. so native CompactFlash seems to be going away.. but I've been seeing these SD and microSD adapters which accept one or two into a CompactFlash cartridge and thinking.. hmm.. maybe disposable SD or microSD in a CompactFlash form factor would be the way to go.

The Sd and microSD cards are getting super cheap.. and at least they are still easy to find in the 100 GB range.

I know speed is supposed to be a problem.. but I only get 30 MB/s off my Maxtor Quickview drives.. I guess because they were designed for low power consumption and low heat.

Its an interesting Puzzle to me.

I didn't know Series 3 were SATA only.

5. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Unless you want to lose your recordings every couple of months, cheap memory cards are cheap for a reason.

The cards in continuous write mode are extremely slow - they have a small buffer of fast flash where data can be written really quickly, but once you exceed that, they bog down fast. The cards move the data from fast to the bulk flash during idle periods. The cheapest of them may not be fast enough, even if they support really fast standards. Any photographer who shoots burst or videographer generally spends money on premium cards so when they go slow, they're still fast. But you're also looking at going from a $20 64GB card to a $100+ one.

They are also really weak in wear levelling so will die surprisingly quickly. You'll need quality cards as well, and when you compare them to a small SSD, the savings aren't there anymore.