Using HR10 w/5 LnB Dish

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by kjoconnor, Aug 20, 2007.

1. kjoconnor

kjoconnor New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Can anyone tell me if it a problem to use my HR10-250 with the new Slimline 5 LnB dish for the HR20? I moved the receiver to a 3rd room and ran the guided setup and of course it only goes to 3 LnB dish that I had previously had. I completed the guided setup and now every once in awhile the picture will go black and I can't get it back unless I restart the machine. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    There is no compatibility issues with the 5LNB and the HR10-250.

Did they replace the multiswitch? With a passive WB68?

3. kjoconnor

kjoconnor New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Yes they replaced my Powered multi switch with the passive one - is that a problem?

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Most likely...
    Your cable run is probably too far, and is losing too much voltage to power the dish and the switch...

Do you still have your powered switch?
    If so, you can connected it to four outputs of the WB68... and then connect that to the HR10

Else you will need a senora signal locker, or one of the newer powered multiswitches (which start at the size of a 16 port)

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    How many lines do you have hooked into the HR10? If you only have one, you may be running into the phantom dual tuner issue I got after I went from two lines to one.

If you have only one line (assuming you told it you only have one when you guided setup), try accessing the second tuner (down arrow). See what happens.

See this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=359336

6. kjoconnor

kjoconnor New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I do only have 1 line running in - I ran the setup according so it appears to be setup correctly. I did though connect a line to the OTA in to test a small HD antenna - which I removed and returned to the store. After I disconnected I re-ran the guided setup to get rid of the OTA and return to one feed only. It was at that point that I started experiencing this issue. After I reboot - everything is good to go - I haven't had any issues for a couple of days so maybe it worked itself out??

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What I have seen is that if you have one line in, even if you tell it there is only one line, the HR10 will work like a single tuner unit until it decides to record off satellite.

When that happens, one of two things will happen. It will tune on the active tuner or it will try to tune on the background tuner which is turned off. If the first, everything will be fine. If the latter, it will record a black screen and put the machine into a dumb mode where it acts like there are two tuners but tells you there aren't.

The problem doesn't exist with OTA recording as far as I can tell. But if it does go into quasi-dual tuner mode, both OTA tuners will work anyway since the signal is split internally.

Next time this happens to you, push the down arrow button and see if the second tuner shows up. I'm betting it will.

I thought for weeks that something was going wrong and only a reboot fixed it. Then I realized it was using the unconnected tuner.

I now only use my HR10 for OTA recording and as a live tuner for satellite. I may record off satellite but only stuff I have tuned in successfully.

And if I write this often enough, maybe someone from TIVO will read it and answer me. They used to monitor these forums for this kind of stuff....but I have lost faith in them being active on anything any more except their newest technology.

Hello TIVO guys? More than one of us are having a major bug with your HR10 unit. Enough to make me think about dumping Tivo all together.