Using HDMI with tivo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by h0mi, Feb 22, 2008.

1. h0mi

h0mi Member

Dec 28, 2007

Advertisements

1 of the things I like about the tivo HD is with digital cable and the appropriate cards, I can access assorted music or other audio programs. But Ive got an issue.

My tivoHD is connected to my tv via HDMI. While connected via HDMI, is it possible to output audio via optical or red/white audio plugs at the same time?

Since the video on these programs either doesnt exist or isnt something I care to watch, Id rather be able to play with the xbox or ps3 as the audio program goes on in the background.

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yes, the audio is output simultaneously on all connections. I have my S3 connected via HDMI to my TV and then via optical to my receiver and component to my DVR burner. The THD behaves the same way.

3. bdooner

bdooner New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Can you advise any advantage of HDMI cable over RCA cables
    other than the obvious that it's one cable instead of five?

4. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Bingo. I have the same setup, and it works very well.

5. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007

Advertisements

you mean component cables. RCA Cables are the red yellow white. Their arent really a ton other than being able to use just one wire like you said. The real advantage is that it allows content companies to control and flag content. The only reason i use hdmi at all is for my ps3 so that it will upconvert my dvd movie collection. The other real limitation which isnt an issue for me with a 720p tv is that hdmi allows you to go to 1080p. This obviously isnt an issue with your tivo hd since nobody broadcasts in 1080p only 1080i and 720p. Hope this answers your question bdooner. And as always im sure ill be corrected if i am wrong

6. bdooner

bdooner New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Yes, I did mean COMPONENT cables, not RCA. And I have a 1080p TV.
    So will the video and audio be the same whether I use the HDMI or the
    component cables?

7. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    Both component video and composite (plus analog audio) are terminated on 'RCA' sockets.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No, the main advantage of HDMI and/or the optical audio cable is you get digital audio.

Component cables support 1080p as well.

9. bdooner

bdooner New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Thank you Rainwater. That was my suspicion from my reading, but it wasn't totally clear to me. Of course, I could have just asked the boy at Circuit City ;)

I guess if I take my fiber cable to my audio amp, take HDMI to my TV, I'll have digital audio in both places. Damn, those HDMI's are about $75 downtown, but only $20 at tivo.com :)

10. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    $5 at monoprice.com

11. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    Another advantge of HDMI to the TV is that you can use the TV speakers on news and older TV and movies that don't need a big 5.1 system.

12. dr_lha

dr_lha New Member

May 13, 2005
    Central PA
    Bingo! Monoprice's HDMI cables are great and cheap.

I use HDMI cables purely because they're less messy and can be got for so cheap as long as you don't got to a big box store. Monoprice even has colored HDMI cables so you can figure out which one is for what box.