Using Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by derrick111, Jul 16, 2007.

1. derrick111

derrick111 New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    USA

Advertisements

Hello, this is my 1st post... I have taken the hard drive out of my old TiVo and want to use it in my computer. I am more fammiliar with electronics, but I have enough experiance with computers that I should be able to do this with a little help. My problem is that the hard drive only shows about 600MB free space left when I tried to put Win2000 on it. I assume it's because there is already a bounch of video and OS already on there... I couldn't figue out how to format it. Someone suggested that this is because TiVo used Linux and it's a "stronger" OS then Windows so I will have to figure out some way to reformat it so I can use it in my computer. Help! Please :confused:
    Thanks so much!

2. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    Welcome.

And it is against the rules to cross-post the same thing in multiple forums.

3. derrick111

derrick111 New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    Oh boy... here it is my first post and I've already done something bad. Should I deleat the other posts? I wasn't sure where to put this?
    Thanks and sorry!

4. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    derrick,

It would be most helpful to put tthe post one time in the correct forum.

Is your unit a DVD/Tivo Humax Standalone?

Is it a Series 1 or 2 single or dual tuner model?

Is it a Directv Combo Unit?

What is the model number?

Is this a HD your purchased seperately, formatted/imaged the TIVO software on? If you purchased the HD, you should have the software that came with it tat will allow you to format it.

What model HD is it?

All these things will help the community help you.

What are you "trying to do"? If you want to use the HD in a PC, just install it and reform it.