Using Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by derrick111, Jul 16, 2007.

1. derrick111

derrick111 New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    USA

Advertisements

Hello, this is my 1st post... I have taken the hard drive out of my old TiVo and want to use it in my computer. I am more fammiliar with electronics, but I have enough experiance with computers that I should be able to do this with a little help. My problem is that the hard drive only shows about 600MB free space left when I tried to put Win2000 on it. I assume it's because there is already a bounch of video and OS already on there... I couldn't figue out how to format it. Someone suggested that this is because TiVo used Linux and it's a "stronger" OS then Windows so I will have to figure out some way to reformat it so I can use it in my computer. Help! Please :confused:
    Thanks so much!

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Please do not post the same message in more than one forum. Very irritating!

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    no, it is your 8th post andthe 5th forum you have cut and paste the same thing into.
    the answer is still the same and still has nothing to do with Tivo other than the hard drive came out of one

4. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Put it in a system as a "slave" drive and format it using the command prompt in windows 2000 or whatever os u wana run. but youll also have to delete the MFS partition that the tivo drive has.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

that alone will not work as he will only see the first 600 meg partition in Windows 2000. he siad that in each of his 5 original posts.

6. derrick111

derrick111 New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    Alright ZeoTiVo, didn't mean to offend irritate anyone. You seem to have read enough of my question by now... You are correct that I am only seeing the 600MB partition. So what do I do then?
    Thanks.

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Grab a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD, burn the ISO to a disc, boot from it, and use one of the partition managers to wipe the drive and start over.

8. derrick111

derrick111 New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    windracer, thanks! There are many options on that page... do I want to look under "Hard Disk Wiping Tools", "Partition Tools" at FDISC, or other? Not sure which to use cause this is somewhat new to me. Plus I see this:

"For those of you interested in a Windows version of the Ultimate Boot CD, you might want to check out this project initiated by Ben Burrows."

which brings the question... am I going to boot up in Linux (which I know notheng about) or windows/dos?
    Thank you thank you thank you!

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The list on that page is a list of all the tools on the Ultimate Boot CD. When you download the ISO image, you get all of those. Use your favorite burning software to burn the image (don't burn the actual .iso file!) to a CD.

You'll end up with a bootable CD. Boot your PC with the CD in the drive and you'll get a menu system to start up the utility you want. You should be able to use one of those tools to re-partition and format the drive into something Windows will recognize.

All of these utilities are DOS/Linux based, but relatively straightforward.