Using Desktop Plus - Tip!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by PeskyPete, Nov 14, 2011.

1. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I was having some issues with SOME mkv & mp4 files:
    They were not all showing up on the Tivo, when accessing the PC on the network.
    Also, I tried to transfer some (that DID show up) to the Tivo, but even though the transfer started, the files did not come over.
    I was even getting the message about 'adding this to the queue'.
    But files still not coming over.
    It turns out that all these issues were resolved by installing a codec pack, on my computer.
    The install program also cleaned up some issues (removed invalid codecs etc.).
    Prior to the install, I ran CCleaner (freeware), and cleaned up registry entries - There are several CCleaner tools, but I just used the registry cleaner.
    The Codec pack I installed was "K-Lite_Codec_Pack_790_Mega.exe"

Now all my files are visible and transfer & play on my Tivo.

I prefer Desktop Plus to Pytivo because I can start watching a video as soon as the transfer starts.
    The regular (free) Tivo Desktop is very limited with what files can be transferred, so buy the Plus for $25, since it represents great value for money. I love you, Tivo. Will you marry me? ♥

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    That comment makes no sense. I can only assume that you're thinking the "Push" mode is the only mode of operation for pyTivo. That's not the case -- you can use it from the Now Playing list, too, exactly like TiVo Desktop. Or, are you seeing long delays even there? That can sometimes happen, with transcoded material only, due to the method pyTivo uses to estimate the transcoded size. I can't imagine TiVo Desktop is much better in this respect -- there are severe consequences for underestimation (the recording gets deleted), so it pays to err on the side of overestimating (sometimes resulting in delays before you can play the program) -- but I haven't done an extensive comparison.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Even "Push" mode can be watched immediately as long as the network performance is good enough. Pushing a 720p MPEG2 file usually results in the TiVo holding up the show until it believes the entire program can be watched without pauses, but h.264 files always start immediately. Of course, transcoding can significantly impact network performance. I also question which is worse, being able to start watching the program immediately but having to wait during the show for the network to catch up, or waiting before the thing starts but then being able to watch without interruptions. I can see reasonable arguments on both sides.

4. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Wasn't aware that 'Now Playing' list could be used with Pytivo - I always used the 'Push' method.

I found that Pytivo was sensitive to stuff like 'spaces' in the metadata files, and the support wasn't great considering it's setup took several hours of trial and error and searching through lots of documentation and forum posts.

Yes I had it running, and was able to create folders for groups of shows on the Tivo, with descriptions etc. but it was a lot of effort to get there.

The fact that I only used it in 'Push' mode is because I never saw any info to the contrary. And, like I said, I spent a LOT of time researching.

Honestly, for me, I prefer Desktop Plus for it's ease of use, but even it has been not without problems, which is why I posted the info above, since this is pretty important info for someone having problems with the product.

The reason for my Pytivo comment was to make others aware that Desktop Plus works in a way that I thought Pytivo didn't.

I wasn't trying to put down Pytivo, so, sorry if it came across like that :)

As far as delays - I have a wired network and have never had to wait mid-stream. I am only streaming 720p though.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    All you had to do was look. The shares automatically show up in the NPL.

Sensitive in what way? I know of no such sensitivity.

When have the authors ever been unavailable? The documentations is clear. The pyTivo forum is there for anyone who needs to ask questions.

It took me less than 2 minutes. Setup is simple, obvious, and straightforward. I'm not sure what "lots of documentation" means. The README file is 44 lines long. It's clear, concise, and to the point.

Hand editing the metafiles can surely be tedious, but then if one wants to customize something, then one must employ a manual process. That's certainly not pyTivo's fault.

But you never turned on your TV and looked at the NPL? Hmm.

I'm sorry, but I just can't credit that statement. The information concerning pushes and pulls is splattered all over this forum and the pyTivo discussion forum.

TDT is not easy to use. It's kludgy, goofy, and badly broken. It's a real dog turd of an app, highly limited and poorly conceived. It's also not cross platform or open source, which makes it garbage at the outset.

A wired network will provide the best throughput, but the bottleneck is the TiVo itself. A Series III TiVo, especially a THD, cannot transfer the highest bandwidth content in real-time, and 720p is the slowest of all. I can transfer most 1080i MPEG2 content in just a bit better than real-time on my S3s. The highest bandwidth 1080i doesn't quite make it. Transferrring 720p content to my S3s results in significant pauses. The THD is even worse. By recoding to h.264, however, the content transfers up to four times faster, and even the THD can transfer h.264 720p content three times faster than real-time.

More to the point, if your network can transfer the video in real-time, then there is nothing at all preventing you from watching the movie immediately when the transfer starts, even during a push. There may be a delay before the transfer starts, but once it starts, one can immediately start watching the video.

6. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Ok, now you got rude and insulting - not responding anymore

7. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    If someone has $25 to blow on TiVo Desktop Plus, my recommendation is to use that as a downpayment on VideoRedo Plus. Desktop Plus doesn't do anything can can't be done for free and it lights up your PC with running services and apps 24/7 -- whether TiVo Desktop is in use or not, open or closed.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    AND it is in a format natively supported by the TiVo to which it is being transferred so that pyTivo doesn't have to transcode it.

9. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Again though, that's only true for videos that don't need to be transcoded (same as pull, but with a broader range of compatible video). Otherwise you still run into the overestimation effect (in fact it's even worse).

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What formats can you not start watching immediately with a pull?

11. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Ah, you're right, never mind -- pull always allows you to watch immediately, even if it can't keep up (just displays the pause warning).