Using Bolt's Ethernet to provide internet to other device?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by ChickenCheese, Apr 30, 2018.

1. ChickenCheese

ChickenCheese with BBQ sauce

Sep 8, 2003
    PA

Advertisements

I moved into a new house and have my mini TiVo connected to my bolt using coax/moca. I have fios so moca is already enabled. Everything was working great. I then read a post where you can use the ethernet port on the bolt to provide a connection to other devixde. Since I don't have an ethernet jack by the bolt, I ran it from the bolt to my Xbox. The Xbox then worked great, but then the mini started acting up and losing it's connection to the bolt . So somehow it seems that the issue is connected to using the ethernet on the bolt to power the Xbox. Anyone have an ideas of how to fix this? Or can't it be done?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Bolt is likely turning off MoCA when it thinks it has a valid ethernet connection, but it doesn't...

-KP

3. ChickenCheese

Sep 8, 2003
    PA
    Is there a way around it? Or was that post I read wrong, that you can't use it that way?

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Not that I've found.

I was disappointed to learn it wouldn't work quite a while back. I use a similar method with AT&T uVerse devices. It works real well with their HPNA.

Maybe put in a MoCA Adapter there and use it for both devices?

-KP

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

It seems like there's something peculiar about the Xbox (Xbox One?) in relation to connecting via the Ethernet port of a MoCA-client TiVo DVR. The only time I've heard of issues with this setup is with Xbox One devices (IIRC).

What model Xbox? Do you have the Xbox connected directly to the BOLT's Ethernet port, or via a switch?

p.s. My related post on the setup, for background: Extending wired connectivity at a MoCA-client TiVo DVR

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yep. The BOLT could be RF-connected via the RF/STB Out pass-through port of a MoCA adapter (MM1000, ECB6200) if it won't be doing MoCA directly, and a Gigabit network switch would be needed to network the BOLT, MoCA adapter and Xbox One.

Or you could use a MoCA-compatible splitter and keep the BOLT on MoCA, while adding a MoCA adapter dedicated to the Xbox One.

Tiger62 likes this.
  7. ChickenCheese

Sep 8, 2003
    PA
    It's a Xbox One S and it's connected directly to the Bolt. I have a switch, so maybe I should out that in between it to see if that helps?

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, it’s worth a try. Plus, if it works, you could then connect other Ethernet devices, as well. (Smart TV, Roku, PS*, ...)

I can’t find the past post(s) referencing a similar issue, so I can’t state whether the switch will definitely help.

9. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Set up the Bolt as a MoCA bridge ("create a MoCA network"). That will allow both MoCA and Ethernet to be active. It works fine - all my media devices are plugged into an Ethernet switch connected to the Bolt, which is connected to the Inet via MoCA.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It’s worth a try, but typically just configuring the DVR as a MoCA client is sufficient ... followed by connecting to its Ethernet port.

11. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Then what's the difference between the modes, and why is there a choice?

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Great question. (Were I forced to speculate, I'd wonder if client-only mode would prevent the DVR from ever assuming MoCA network controller duties. Or... it's just a choice added by TiVo at the moment of configuration to allow for the double-check regarding whether the Ethernet cable is currently plugged-in.)

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    This works in both directions. You can use the MoCa connection to supply an internet connection to the Ethernet port. And you can use the EThernet connection to supply Internet to MOCA. In my testing with the Bolt it was very stable when used either way. But this was also well before Hydra was rolled out.