Using an Ultimate TV DVR in an HD setup

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NJBlackBerry, Jan 28, 2006.

1. NJBlackBerry

NJBlackBerry New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NJ
    OK - my friend still has an old Ultimate TV DVR that hasn't died. He wants to put HD in - they are scheduled to come out on Febryary 8th to replace his dish.

He wants to know if he can someone keep the UltimateTV connected to record the non-HD shows.

I told him he should buy and HD Tivo DVR.

Who is right? And if he can keep the UltimateTV, how does is get lined up.

Thanks.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Sure, just use the UTV separately. It is a DirecTV receiver as is the HDTiVo. He just needs two more lines from his dish and or multiswitch. The new dish is probably a triple LNB with four outputs, so two for the UTV and two for the HDTiVo.

3. NJBlackBerry

NJBlackBerry New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NJ
    I don't think he's getting an HDTivo (at least he wasn't planning to). He wanted to try and leave the UTV in the loop to record non-HD channels.

Will he still need four lines?

4. seedcar

seedcar Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    If he is not going to get a HD DVR he will only need three lines - two to the UTV and one to the new HD receiver. Why doesn't he want to get the HD Tivo? :confused:

5. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    The UTV will cost him $9.99/month vs. $4.99 for a DTivo. I like the UTV UI better than Tivo but the Tivo just does certain things better than any other DVR on the market. If he doesn't want to get a HDTivo (which is downright silly if he's switching to HD) then tell him he can pick up a used DTivo on ebay for less than $50. The difference in monthly fees will pay for the DTivo in less than a year. Since he'll have to commit to a 2-year extension anyway he'll save himself a bundle in the long run.

6. NJBlackBerry

NJBlackBerry New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NJ
    He is being outrageously cheap and doesn't want to pay for the HDTivo. What. Easy answer - get the HDTivo.