Using an S2 as a "cartoon" server

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dolphin, Feb 8, 2011.

1. dolphin

dolphin New Member

Dec 3, 2007

Advertisements

I've got an old S2 that is currently unsubscribed. During a power outage some months back, it developed some sort of problem. It will power up, but won't record and locks up pretty quickly. I bought a replacement S2 and switched the service numbers on tivo.com and everything is peaceful at home.

But I got to thinking ... what if I put a pretty large replacement disk in to that machine (I've got a couple of 250GB drives around). -IF- that fixes the hardware problem, then add the machine on tivo.com as my 3rd Tivo. This will make it a legitimate subscribed Tivo. Then, record every cartoon my kids like over the next month or two. Then unsub it again. This would create a "cartoon server" plus trick play machine, but none of the other TiVo services.

Perhaps in a year, I would repeat the process, re-sub it again, record some newer cartoons as the kids get a little older.

I think this will work and is within the bounds of TiVo service agreements.

Any comments?

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    New subs require a 1 year contract, subject to an early termination fee or forfeiture of the remaining prepaid balance. You can cancel within 30 days though with no penalty with a new activation. I'm not sure if you re-activating an old unit would be considered 'New' though.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It would most likely be considered new because the new tivo has it's subscription and will show the activation date as that of the original at tivo.com. It's as if it never existed. I'm sure if the folks at tivo dug deep enough, they'd find that it had been subscribed and on what account, but I don't believe there is anything at the surface level that actually gets used. Of course, I could be wrong.

One way to find out if you can cancel within 30 days is call to activate it and let them know that it was a non-functioning unit, but now you think you fixed it and want to add it to your account, but want to make sure that if it doesn't work, you still have the 30 day guarantee period to cancel it.

4. dolphin

dolphin New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I wouldn't want to use the 30-day cancel period idea. That would be using the services without intent to pay.

I contact TiVo support to ask the question about the 1-year commitment, and they validated that that is correct:

The box can be added with the monthly payment plan option. However, since it will be a newly activated service, you will be required to sign up for a one year commitment on the box.

It's too bad.

TiVo should really find some way that the older S2s can still be used without cannibalizing sales of the newer hardware.

5. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL

Advertisements

It might work if you swapped TSN's on Tivo's web site? Swap it with the one you replaced it with. This way you could swap TSN's and load it up and then swap TSN's back again. You would not be adding a third box and just replacing an existing sub if only for a week. Just a thought.

Robb