Using an old OLED S3 for antenna only vs Edge?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hoyty, Dec 9, 2020.

Use an old S3 for OTA or get a new Edge?

1. Old S3

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. New Edge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA

Advertisements

I have a premiere cable card only and I am considering ending cable usage. I realized I had an S3 OLED sitting around. If I just want to use it to record OTA and time shift is it still viable? Should I just give up and get an Edge?

Correction: I have a Roamio Pro not Premiere. My parents that are on my account have Premiere. Oops.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What model Premiere is it? A 2 tuner model can do OTA and/or Cable, but a 4 tuner model is cable only.

Forget the Edge, you would be disappointed in the 'newer' interface.

The S3 OLED may be useless unless it can be updated to the latest software, v11.0k.n. The guide data will not get loaded, no providers will be the error.

hoyty likes this.
  3. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    If Lifetime use the S3.
    My Lifetime OLED S3 records better of-the-air then the Bolt on the same attic antenna.

dianebrat, V7Goose and hoyty like this.
  4. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA
    It is lifetime. So have to give it a shot.

5. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA

Advertisements

Why would it not get updated? If I get to that version it will get guide data?

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The point is that it may not get updated as its one of the models that is no longer supported by Tivo. Even if its still has lifetime, but has not connected to Tivo in months, Tivo would assume its dead. It can also get Error S03, which usually means it timed out removing old data before new data can be downloaded.

7. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA
    I plugged it in last night and it connected and downloaded. Rebooted and I let it sit at update screen for 4 hours. Then pulled the power plug and let it sit overnight at upgrade screen. This morning it was back at guided setup. It is downloading again this morning. See where I get.

Update: Hours later finally made it through all the reboots, setup and downloads and it is working. It has been idle since February 2014. It took some patience but still works. Might just use it as a network tuner of sorts for my roamio pro.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  8. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You did things just right - the MOST IMPORTANT thing you got right was to let it download the needed update BEFORE you entered Guided Setup (and pulling the plug is typically necessary to get these old machines to load that downloaded update). Just to clarify for anyone else who reads this thread - doing Guided Setup on an old TiVo that has a pre-2017 software version will brick the box!

I agree that using the S3 for OTA is a great option - both of mine are FAR superior to my Bolts for recording and daily use - I think the S3 user interface is the best, even if the old S3 processors are a little slow. The ONLY downside I see with those boxes is the limitation of just two tuners. As long as your newer box is NOT running horrible TE4, you can easily access and transfer recordings to and from the S3. But beware - TiVo has deliberately made it totally impossible for any box running horrible TE4 to see or interface with a S3 box in any way!