Using a Tivo drive in my PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Len McRiddles, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    I want to use my 160GB Tivo HD OEM drive in a PC running Windows 7 HPE. I installed it, and can see it in device manager, but I can not use it. What do I need to do to use it?

2. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Go to the control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management then mount the drive and format it.

3. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    Thank you, I will try that right now.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You really should put that drive on a shelf and save it as a backup for your TiVo instead.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    At the very least you should make a backup image of it so you can restore it to another drive later. Either way it's a good idea to keep some sort of backup on hand. Otherwise, be prepared to shell out $40 for an InstantCake image or even more if you have to buy a pre-configured replacement drive.

6. madneon

madneon Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Ft. Bragg NC
    It would be best for you to image or keep the drive in your closet I have tried several drives in many tivos and they all go bad after a while I have two industrial server drives I will try next but I still have my original 160 gigs.

7. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    I have 2 Tivo HD's, and both of them have been upgraded to 1TB drives. I made images of both drives, and still have the other HDD.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Okay, then I guess we'll let you slide.

This time.:)