Using a TiVo as a media center, without cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by stevejking, Aug 21, 2011.

1. stevejking

stevejking New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Hi all,

If I wanted to cancel my cable subscription, and just use the TiVo Desktop software to watch previously stored & downloaded content on my Series 2, do I still need the monthly TiVo subscription for this?

Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, or everything will get disabled, but you can watch recordings already on the tivo.

3. stevejking

stevejking New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Ok, thanks ThAbtO!

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Not sure I understood the answer. Are you saying that you can watch what is in the Now Playing list on the Tivo but Tivo Desktop will no longer be able to transfer items off of the Tivo? If that is the case, my recommendation would be to transfer the files from the Tivo using the free program "kmttg" (Tivo To Go) prior to letting the subscription lapse. This program will let you convert the Tivo video file format to something more computer friendly.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Correct, transfers will be disabled, even guide data. Only things you can do without subscription is watch live TV or a pre-recorded video.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Personally, I would recommend not using a TiVo as a media client at all, let alone subscribing to the TiVo service just for that.

Get a Boxee Box or the like. It will cost a year and a bit of TiVo subscription fees, plus is more flexible.

7. stevejking

stevejking New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I checked out Boxee, and Apple TV.. all things considered, I'm still quite happy with my Tivo, even for use as a media center. All I really want to do is be able to watch media files from my PC on my tv, since it has a much bigger screen, and a comfy couch in front of it. :)