using a Series 3 Tivo without service

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by replaytv, Mar 16, 2011.

1. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...

Advertisements

Can I use a Series 3 or above Tivo without paying a monthly fee and without lifetime?(I know that the functions are very limited)
    I am referring to a Series 3 or above that in the 'tivo account status' shows 'open' rather than 'closed'?
    The reason that I am asking is that I have series 2 tivos and I can use them to record without service even though they don't have lifetime service. I think that I may be able to do this with a series 3 tivo as long as the Tivo hasn't connected to a phone jack or wireless and the 'guided set up' hasn't already been started? Has anybody tried this?

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You mentioned not doing "Guided Setup".

Is the TiVo already set up for your type of TV service and the channel lineup for your area?

Also, recently there's been talk on these forums about using an unsubbed Series 3 as a TV tuner (and using the 30 minute buffer), but not as a recorder.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=466201

3. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I don't currently own a Series 3 or above Tivo, so as far as

"Is the TiVo already set up for your type of TV service and the channel lineup for your area?"

Hopefully the one that I would buy would be, but I can probably work around that.