Using a "dead" tivo box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ldavenport, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ldavenport

ldavenport New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    does anyone know if you disconnect tivo service if your tivo box will still work as a "cable box". In other words to just use it to watch live tv, instead of renting a cable box from cox.

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    What kind of box? All Tivos will tune analog channels, if available. You can't get digital or HD cable channels without a CableCard from the cable company. S3 boxes will still do the 30 minute live TV buffer but Premieres with the latest SW will no longer do that. In all cases you will get nag notices about not having service.

3. ldavenport

ldavenport New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    It's a series 3 tivo. I have the cable card, but I think the hard drive went out. I don't know if I want to try to replace it.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The software that makes the hardware work, with or without a subscription, is on the hard drive, so, bad hard drive, no TiVo of any kind.

What's the model number?

TCD648250?
    TCD652160?
    TCD658000?

What makes you think that the problem is the hard drive?

What are the symptoms?

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You cannot with out a working HDD with the proper system image installed. Once you get that working, you can use it as a cable box with live buffering, without a TiVo subscription.

With no HDD, or a failed HDD, it won't even boot, since the OS/system software are on the HDD.

Without a cablecard, it can only get analog and clear QAM channels; a series 2 will only get analog.

6. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    is it a Series 3 or a TiVo HD. You can get a new HDD for it already formatted off eBay from DVR_Dude