Using a Cell Phone with a Series 1

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Percipient, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Percipient

Percipient New Member

Aug 19, 2003
    New Hampshire

Advertisements

I recently switched to HD and bought a series 3 TiVo, and I'd like to give my series 1 TiVo (w/lifetime subscription) to a friend who has no land line, only a cell phone.

A Tivo support webpage titled Can I Use a Cell Phone to Connect to TiVo? says, "Using a cell phone to connect to the TiVo service is not possible at this time."

True?

My friend does have broadband Internet, but purchasing additional hardware to make the series 1 work with the Internet, unless very inexpensive and very easy, probably makes little sense since a series 2 costs only $100 right now, though there is the additional cost of the monthly service. The advantage of this series 1 is its lifetime subscription.

Any help out there?

--Percy

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    A broadband card for the S1 is ~ $75.
    You might also look into the option or transferiing your lifetime service to a newer model (Current special is on the DT80hr) or wait, as there may be another special to transfer the lifetime to your S3.

As far as the cell phone, AFAIK its a no go.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You could see if Serial PPP is viable. Generally it doesn't cost much to implement, assuming a PC with a serial port and a cable can be run between the PC and the TiVo.

4. jtown

jtown New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Technically, it would be possible if the phone has a data package that allows such connections and if you could build the proper cable and if you could manage to program the phone's initialization string into the dialing sequence of the tivo. That's a lot of ifs. And, of course, it requires hooking up the phone every time you need to make a connection.

Either get an S2 with a network connection or buy a network adapter for the S1. It's a lot less hassle.

5. Percipient

Percipient New Member

Aug 19, 2003
    New Hampshire

Advertisements

Thanks for the info, guys. Given what I've learned, it sounds like the best course for me and my friend is for me to buy a new TiVo series 2 and transfer the lifetime subscription to it. There's a current deal that if you purchase a series 2 80-hour for $299 through the TiVo transfer program, you can transfer a lifetime subscription to it from a TiVo series 1. Once the TiVo arrives my riend would reimburse me and I'd give it to him.

But I'm wondering if there'd be a problem doing it this way. TiVo has a "Manage your Account" page where you can see a list of your TiVo's and their serial numbers and what type of subscription they have. Is it going to be a problem if I give this new TiVo with the transferred subscription to my friend? When he calls up with a problem, are they going to say, "Sorry, you're not the registered owner of this TiVo." Or are you allowed to transfer ownership of TiVo's with lifetime subscriptions?

--Percy

6. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    http://www.tivo.com/promo/series2plt.html

This sounds like an instance where a call to TiVo to talk to a CSR would be your best course. Give them a call and tell them that you would like to transfer your lifetime to a friend who then would like to take advantage of the special offer.

7. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Agree with supasta. Call Tivo and let them know what you are thinking of doing.

Tivo picks up a New Customer, and keeps an old one happy.

Its a win-win situation. :D