Useless Tivo support

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by windsurfdog, Dec 23, 2015.

1. windsurfdog

windsurfdog Hoof Hearted?

May 1, 2009
    Since I cannot change the title of this post, please consider the title changed to "One example of useless Tivo support...not a condemnation of all Tivo support" in order to not give the impression that I believe all Tivo support is as useless as this.

I have a Premiere purchased in 2010 w/lifetime service. Before bringing this unit online, I swapped out the installed hard drive with a 2T hd which has been running flawlessly until a couple of days ago when I got GSOD after watching it slowly stutter its way to failure for the last couple of weeks.

I've ordered a new 2T replacement drive formatted and preinstalled with Premiere software which should arrive in a couple of days.

In the meantime, I installed the original drive into the Tivo so that I could utilize the system while the new hd is shipped. Upon startup, the 2010 software was present and there was no guide info...perfectly expected. I connected to the Tivo mothership manually several times but no software updates and no guide info. It was late in the evening so I decided to let it sit until yesterday.

Earlier in the day yesterday, I submitted a support email to Tivo's support site explaining what had transpired as described above. I then asked if I should expect the software and guide info to be updated on this interim drive. I also asked them if running guided setup again would at least get me guide info. Here is their response:

"Currently when replacing the TiVo hard drive it will void the TiVo limited warranty so we cannot guarantee it will work properly or be able to correctly download the newest software version."

Here is my response to them:

"So, are you trying to say that my 5 year old Tivo has a warranty? I doubt it. Completely useless reply. FWIW, I did run guided setup again and my guide info is now up to date. Looks like the software will not be upgraded on this drive but that is really no consequence since I'll have a new HD delivered in a couple of days that will have updateable software installed. Please, when offering a reply, don't insult your customers with useless information like this."

So I've got guide info and a system that works just fine for the interim. In a couple of days, we'll be back in the saddle again. What a shame Tivo's first tier support isn't any better than any other organization's first tier support...was hoping for better. Thanks for listening!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The only thing surprising to me in your post is that it won't update to the latest software. Has it actually connected to TiVo several times **since** you did the guided setup?

You have unrealistic expectations for TiVo support, or any other first-tier support. I agree such support is almost useless for anything but trivial problems that can be handled via a script. (Such issues are better addressed on this forum, actually.) However, if a company tried to hire really smart people for support, and train them to the level we would like, the following would happen:

1. Due to higher salaries and training costs, the price of their product would increase dramatically. Even worse, a competing product with poorer support (and lower price) would put them out of business -- because poor support has very little impact on most customers when selecting a product.

2. Even with higher salaries they wouldn't be able to hire enough of the more capable people, a result of how most American's don't really value education, although they may value a diploma.

But I'm sure the bashing of support will go on -- it's so satisfying. :rolleyes:

3. windsurfdog

May 1, 2009
    dlfl quote: "But I'm sure the bashing of support will go on -- it's so satisfying." Maybe my title gave that impression...not intended. I would have changed the title given the opportunity but, short of that, I amended the post to reflect otherwise. Maybe toning down the sarcasm a bit will get your point over without making you appear offensive.

dlfl, in your opinion, I should have expected Tivo support to not answer questions that are straightforward and simple? Should I have expected them to question my actions in context of warranty voidance about a 5 year old Tivo? Unless I'm wrong, I do not believe I have any warranty claim for any reason.

I stand by my assertion for this particular support response...useless.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    windsurfdog,

I think they probably should have used the word support versus warranty. As you have modified your TiVo, they are not obligated to provide support on it (even if you put the original drive back in). There are no official user-serviceable parts in the TiVo so whether or not you agree with that policy they are within their rights to refuse you support. That's always been one of the risks we assume when we do our own hard drive upgrades. I ran into this with the TiVo Search issue on our 2 S3 OLED's which are upgraded to 2TB drives. I ended up submitting the ticket under an HD that we have which still has the original hard drive.

Now as far as your issue, it's interesting that your Premiere is not getting updated since Premiere's are still supported and would have gotten a recent update. We had seen instances of S3 and older TiVo's not getting updated since they have moved those into "legacy" support (ie no more new activations, no schedule management through TiVo's website etc) and assumed the 2 were related. I don't see how it would not be updating unles they are doing version checks and anything older than x doesn't get updated.

You should post in the Upgrade Center forum and see if someone can provide a current image if you want to get the original hard drive upgraded as a backup.

Scott

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Apparently one of the deals with TiVo OS updates is that if they have a record back there at TiVo, Inc., of having pushed an update to your unit, putting an older version of the software on there, via a drive change or overwriting, doesn't get them to notice and send the update again.

6. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Select edit, then advanced edit to change the title.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't think that works anymore.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I hope it doesn't work, at least not after someone has posted a reply which can only be fairly interpreted in the context of the original title. This same concern applies to editing posts -- it's possible to change the context so much that subsequent posts are made very puzzling.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You can edit the title of a post, but the thread title is there forever.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    :eek: And for all those years I kept the original 160 GB drive from my THD (removed when I did a WinMFS upgrade to a 1 TB drive) on the shelf as an emergency backup to be swapped in like the OP did -- assuming it would upgrade if I put it back in. Is there a way to force an update? Is there a kickstart that forces one?

This is an academic question for me -- I've gone from THD to Roamio now.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    First I apologize for appearing to single you out in my sarcastic comment about bashing support. It applies to the many people who bash first-tier support (and not just TiVo's) because such support cannot meet standards which are unreasonable to expect -- for the reasons explained in my post.

I never questioned your ".. assertion for this particular support response...useless.". As I said initially, I don't think TiVo's response was surprising, given my realistic low expectations. As soon as you mentioned you had opened your TiVo you probably triggered one of their scripted responses about how that voids the warranty. And the rep simply didn't think any further than that. In my experience I've found most contacts with first-tier support, for many products having any technical sophistication, equally unsatisfying -- with a few rare exceptions. Thus I'm not surprised when it happens and don't see any good done by grousing about it on this forum.

Still wondering whether your TiVo has made several connections to TiVo after you did guided setup?

12. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    I did it yesterday for a spelling error. After a period of time you can no longer edit. I don't know what that is.

13. jim1971

jim1971 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    windsurfdog,

I have my issues with Tivo, but they involve complete and reliable documentation - including relevant troubleshooting - to get a mini to talk to a dvr and vice versa via wired ethernet.

I think you were asking too much of them to troubleshoot surgery on your dvr. Nice try for asking them but let it go.

14. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    What's quoted will not change, so people will understand. If you go delete this post I've quoted it will not delete the quote in my post.

Sometimes people write things in the heat of the moment, then regret it. So an ability to change it is a good thing.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Good points. However members frequently respond to a post without quoting it, usually when little time has elapsed and they assume the context will be obvious. I guess to be safe the moral is: always quote what you're responding to.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    @windsurfdog,

Many posts on this forum support the idea that TiVo support reps vary widely, even to the point of one of them offering some kind of deal (e.g., special price for lifetime sub) when another one didn't, just a few minute earlier.

Thus you might get a better response just by contacting support again, although in your case I think your issue will be better handled on this forum.

I've also found that phone conversations work better than email or chat for support. Sometimes I think the chat reps are generally less capable.

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Which wouldn't be so bad except when you know more than they do about the subject of your call, and you need to talk to someone there who knows more than you do about it, trying to get things escalated up the food chain just usually sends the script jockeys back to the start of the script instead of taking one's word for it that the reason for the call is beyond the ability of the script to deal with.

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There was a Kickstart, KS 56, designed to make the TiVo make contact and try to download the latest OS version, but I think all it does now is cause a "network unavailable" error screen to come up.

19. windsurfdog

May 1, 2009
    Thank you to all who replied.

dlfl, we are good. Thank you for offering your help...very much appreciated.

schatham, yes, was able to change the title of the first post as you suggested...we'll see if it carries over to the title of the thread or not. Thank you!

Now, apparently Tivo Claus is alive and well! I found the software upgraded to the latest this morning! Apparently, it takes several connections to get the latest. I'm guessing it has to upgrade through all iterations over multiple connections before arriving at the ultimate version. This was the information I was requesting in the support email.

Seems like Tivo could just get over their aversion regarding replaced hard drives outside of warranty claims especially with Comcast's (and maybe others) current dvrs SOOO much better than what they used to be. Seems like a couple of reasonable questions answered would make for good customer service and customer loyalty. Too much to ask? Apparently so. I mean, do they really expect us to send our units back to them for hd replacements?

Oh well, current unit running great and new hd on the way.

Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Happy Kwanza/Happy Festivus to all!