Used Tivos

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ellinj, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    Got two S3s one with lifetime one without. Both with a 1.5tb hard drive upgrade.

Any idea of the value on ebay?

I also notice on ebay that some sellers list their units as eligible for the old 6.95 MSD rate. How does that work?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You need to currently have a Tivo with the $6.95 rate on your account and you just do a TSN swap with the Tivo you buy on ebay.

ETA: For ebay newbies...
    Get the TiVo Service Number from the seller and verify directly with TiVo whether or not a DVR is eligible for a TSN swap, actually has lifetime service, etc.
    If the seller is not willing to give you the TSN, be wary.

3. thebfg

thebfg New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Hollywood, CA
    I've bought and sold plenty of TiVo's with lifetime on eBay. I've never asked for and never given out a TSN; I rely on the seller's feedback as an indicator. This is due to my experience with transferring the lifetime with TiVo service reps. Sometimes they actually want information about the previous owner (i.e. name, address). Other times, they just transfer the TiVo to my account, no questions asked. Thus, I'm wary about giving out the TSN prior to a sale, in case some nefarious eBayer transferred my TiVo to his account, which would cause a bunch of problems for the actual buyer.

4. rgbrooks

rgbrooks New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    I agree with this user. I bought a unit off of eBay and had the users name and address when I called customer service. I did not have an established TIVO account yet and it made the transfer very easy. I purchased a second tivo unit w/ lifetime and because I already had that unit plugged in the Tivo person could see the box when I read him the TSN.

As to prices, an S3 w/ lifetime is worth infinitely more than one without. An S3 w lifetime and 1.5 TB probably $400-550. One without lifetime you'd be lucky to see $150. If there are other similar items for sale at the same time you will be directly competing against them as well. Personally I will bid on the one that uses an actual photo vs. a stock photo and if they have the original box, remote, manuals and cables this will add to the price they fetch.

5. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    This is why I always keep my electronics boxes in the attic. This way I can always provide shipping in the actually factory box with all the original supplies. I have found that it makes it much easier this way. As an aside, for those who have sold TiVos via eBay, etc.., do you place the TiVo factory box inside another box or do you ship it as is in the original box?

6. ellinj

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    What makes you eligible to do a TSN Swap, I have been able to do it in the past, but the last premier I added to my account about 2-3mos ago, would not allow me to do it.

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    You couldn't just look on ebay and find out, instead of asking that question here? :rolleyes:

But seriously you can see completed listings on ebay and that will tell you what you want to know.

8. ellinj

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    Thanks for the advice :rolleyes:

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The Premiere/Premiere XL DVRs are disqualified from being able to do a TSN swap due to the subsidized pricing on the hardware.