used tivo with parental lock on

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by replaytv, Nov 2, 2011.

1. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I bought a used Toshiba DVR/DVD with Tivo basic, and it has parental locks on. I have read in here that Tivo doesn't have the ability to change or provide the code in this case. So I was thinking maybe I could use this kickstart code to reload the software and thus get around the parental locks. Am I thinking correctly?

"56 Software Install The TiVo attempts to connect to the TiVo servers to download and install the most recent version of the TiVo OS for that model. The unit should be connected to the phone line or ethernet. "

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You are correct, (I have read)that Tivo customer service can't, or won't, provide resets for Tivo Basic subscriptions.

However, I have read here, that they have no problem with you activating to full Tivo Plus status, then providing you with a reset code, then you cancelling the Tivo Plus within 30 days for a refund. Confirm with Tivo cs, before taking this route.

Can't speak to the kickstart method, but you could certainly reimage with winmfs, instant cake, etc. Don't know if the image from your very drive would carry over the locked status or not. Surely another image would work.

I have read that a "Clear and Delete everything" will not work in removing the parental lock.

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    You could restore the drive from an Instantcake image.

4. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Well, I am working on this Toshiba Tivo DVD/DVR SD-H400 again.

I called Tivo and they confirmed that they can only activate the Tivo to full lifetime, they can't turn off the parental looks otherwise, but I didn't ask them if I could cancel it before 30 days.
    I have a couple of Humax Tivos and am wondering if I do a clear and delete on one of them, can I put it in this Toshiba to solve my problem?
    I don't know how to do the Instantcake imaging and have too many irons in the fire right now to learn that.

The Tivo doesn't respond to the remote control, and when trying to access the DVD it locks up and needs a hard reboot to come up. It works otherwise as far as looking at old shows, and I just connected it to my wireless network. I have to do everything by using the buttons on the front of the Tivo. I am hoping that by replacing the hard drive maybe the parental controls will be turned off and possibly the the Tivo will respond to the remote.
    It is a model Toshiba SD-H400.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The Humax software will not work in the Toshiba Tivo, if you can get to clear and delete all on your Toshiba Tivo you will get the lock off when you re-set up the unit.

6. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Ya, now that I think of it, I have been told that before... must have been a senior moment.
    Guess I will just have to learn how to put a image on a disk and put it in the locked Toshiba.
    Thanks anyway.

7. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I have run into this problem before, on a Tivo TCD240 or TCD230, can't remember exactly. The one way I got it to work was to do the following (FYI I had 2 identical units):

1. Start the Clear and Delete Everything on a donor TiVo that doesn't have the parental lock.
    2. Unplug the power on the donor TiVo as soon as it started rebooting.
    3. Remove the hard drive from the donor TiVo.
    4. Put the drive into the parental locked TiVo and let it do the Clear and Delete Everything. It will go through the Guided Setup after the C&DE.

So, what you need is an image has been created at the point of the Clear and Delete Everything starting. You could put the image onto a new drive and install the drive into your problem child TiVo. I've done in the past with other models, but not for the Toshiba SD-H400. I can give it a try, if you want. I actually need to try to resurrect another Toshiba SD-H400 and break through the software size lock, too.

Let me know,
    robomeister

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you try putting the parent locked hard drive in the other TiVo to see if it would give you an error 51 and then let you green screen it and eventually work?

9. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I have another Toshiba that is working and unlocked that I thought had sold. But the guy hasn't sent me the money, so maybe I will clear and delete it and put it in the other Toshiba to see if it will get it working. But then again, I might end up with two boat anchors.