Used TiVo question about activation....

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jfs9900, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jfs9900

jfs9900 New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    I recently purchased a second TiVo unit at a really good price - it was previously returned. I set it up with no problem, but it didn't ask me to activate anything.

When I checked the system information it says "Account Status" 5: Product Lifetime Service - So I guess the person that owned it before had purchased the lifetime subscription for the box.

When I purchased the box I fully indented on activating the service and paying the additional 6 a month. So seeing that it has been fully paid for was quite shocking, maybe my good deal turned into a great deal???

My problem now is that I can't activate the tivo onto my account, so I can't use the TiVo Desktop/TiVoToGo etc. features because the media access keys don't match my other box.

Can I call TiVo and have it setup? If I do will they remove the "Lifetime Service" from the box?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It has to be removed from the previous owners account, then you can add it to yours.

3. jfs9900

jfs9900 New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    If I don't know who that is can it still be done?

4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    You can call TiVo to see if they can do it for you. No need to mention that you didn't know it had a lifetime subscription. Since those stay with the box you are okay. Good Luck!

5. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    TiVo requires you (or the previous owner) to call support -- from the Tivo Support section:

Product Lifetime service – Remember that Product Lifetime service accompanies the DVR, not the person. For more information on Product Lifetime service, see Product Lifetime Service. To transfer your Product Lifetime service to a new owner, either you or the new owner must call TiVo Customer Support at 877-367-8486 between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM PST. If you call, please have the contact information available for the new owner.

Michael

6. jfs9900

jfs9900 New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Thanks for all the responses!

I called - was on hold for almost an hour, but they were able to change the box onto my account..

One last question - what if the person that paid for the subscription trys to cancel with TiVo --- will that adversely effect my account?

7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    There is no way to cancel a lifetime subscription. However, the previous owner could have transferred his lifetime from your TiVo to a knew one (under the grandfather clause, etc). In that case you may lose the lifetime status one day. Either way, enjoy it while it lasts!