used tivo drive in new tivo? 200 Gb

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Synthohol, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Synthohol

Synthohol LiquidNinjas.com

Jul 14, 2003

Advertisements

my 4 year old tivo died, i had a B drive in it that is 200 Gb i just bought a new tivo, activated the service, updated the tivo and now i want to upgrade the single drive to the 200Gb drive from my old tivo.

what do i have to do first to the 200 Gb drive that has data on it? i want to clean the drive and do a direct copy over of the new tivo drive and put the 40 gigger on a shelf in case the 200 gig ever dies.

there are no programs on it yet (the 40 gig) but the 200 gig needs to be cleaned like new first IIRC.
    i can flush the MBR and write zeros to the drive but i want to know if ill be wasting my time.

thanx!!

Steve.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    You will be wasting your time. Everytime you restore or copy to a disk with the Tivo software it wipes it clean either before or during the process so you can do it over and over without worrying about this.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    It doesn't actually wipe it clean - that would take as long as a low-level-format:eek: - it just re-initialises the partition table if necessary and writes whatever it needs to to the drive, regardless of what was there before.

4. Synthohol

Synthohol LiquidNinjas.com

Jul 14, 2003
    so i can pop the 200 gig right into a pc and run the backup/expand command so i dont have to reformat the 200 gig:)
    that would be great!